Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on September 12, 2013, 03:06:22 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2013, 03:05:00 PM
I'm pretty sure most of us thought the original threat was pretty silly since we didn't think he was going to follow through.

I honestly must just be a bit naive, because I never even considered that a US president would not follow through on such a threat.

Other Presidents have always followed through, I don't think he was just throwing it out there;  particularly since he's consistently endorsed our long-standing policy on non-proliferation.

And to think Obama is weak on action is selling the man a bit short, considering he's been droning the shit out of the Third World on a daily basis and violated Pakistani sovereignty to kill a certain High Value Target--which turned out not to be just election year bullshit.

Maximus

Quote from: Berkut on September 12, 2013, 02:29:46 PM
On the other hand, when he made that threat, nobody even thought twice about it. Nobody was all "ZOMG! TEH PREZ TOTALLY COMMITTED US TO THIS NEW POLICY!!!!".

This has been a long standing foreign policy standpoint of the West for a very long time. I cannot fault Obama for making the threat, since it was not even a new threat. It was a standard threat that has, in my view, always been there.
Yea I think a lot of people, especially the media, are making way to much out of the "red line" comment. He didn't come up with that red line, he endorsed it, and he really shouldn't have needed to. It's a no-brainer.

His mistake wasn't that comment, his mistake was in thinking such a response needed special permission

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2013, 03:48:51 PM
Giving Putin the Nobel Peace Prize for his role in this would be the turd icing on this particular shit cake.  :lol:

He accomplished more than a certain presidential recipient I can think of ;)

CountDeMoney

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 05:06:45 PM
Quote from: Maximus on September 12, 2013, 05:02:19 PM
It's a no-brainer.

What do you mean by this?

There shouldn't be any question of whether we would respond with force to an act like this. The "red line" threat should be considered implied at all times.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on September 12, 2013, 05:21:44 PM
There shouldn't be any question of whether we would respond with force to an act like this. The "red line" threat should be considered implied at all times.

Based on what?  Saddam gassed Khurds with no immediate consequenses.  Egypt is alleged to have used gas in Yemen and it didn't even make the front page.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 05:29:25 PM
Quote from: Maximus on September 12, 2013, 05:21:44 PM

Based on what?  Saddam gassed Khurds with no immediate consequenses.  Egypt is alleged to have used gas in Yemen and it didn't even make the front page.

When was that?  In the 1960s?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

For the record, Iraq's use of chemical agents against Iranian troops and towns in the last years of their war, was a clear breach of the proceeding Geneva Protocol and no one in the west did anything about it, not even riding a white charger up onto the moral high ground for show. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 03:50:27 PM
....followed by the bad guy peeing his pants when it looked like the US was starting to get serious

See when pants are peed in there should be a pair of pants one can point to and say - there is the pee.  And that is what is missing here.  The bad guy has given up exactly nothing.  All he has done is to agree in principle to a frameword to engage in further negotations.  That is not surrendering any right.  That is being accorded recognition by a superpower.  It is a plus.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Yes, thanks mongers.

The fact is the US has *never* used force to punish the use of chemical weapons.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 12, 2013, 05:44:10 PM
See when pants are peed in there should be a pair of pants one can point to and say - there is the pee.  And that is what is missing here.  The bad guy has given up exactly nothing.  All he has done is to agree in principle to a frameword to engage in further negotations.  That is not surrendering any right.  That is being accorded recognition by a superpower.  It is a plus.

He has agreed in principle to surrender at-will use of his stocks.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2013, 04:50:49 PM
And to think Obama is weak on action

No he is not.  If he elects not to act here, it is because he realizes the futility.  Overall, his performance on foreign policy has been quite good over the years.  IMO.  But he took his eye off the ball on this one. And missed the sign, dropped his bat mid-pitch and then fell over the third base side blocking his own runner trying to steal home.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson