Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

QuoteI carefully studied his address to the nation on Tuesday

I found this line to be goofy.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Putin or his staff writers writes likes those insufferable Euros at EUOT.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: alfred russel on September 11, 2013, 03:02:38 PM
Quote from: KRonn on September 11, 2013, 12:51:24 PM
And to think, all this from an offhand remark, a gaf, spoken by Sec State Kerry! US State Dept quickly said that Kerry was just making a rhetorical statement but immediately the Russians jumped at the opening he made.

As for that, why didn't the President or someone on the staff or Sec State Kerry come up with this idea a few weeks ago, as a diplomatic settlement over the use of the weapons, instead of an attack?

Maybe I don't understand the details of the proposal, I haven't been following this too closely, but isn't it that some international force takes control of Syrian chemical stockpiles? If so, how is this going to be resolved? Presumably someone has to send units into Syria to accomplish that. I don't know who is up for that. I would think that the US is not.

That's my understanding, that international troops or workers under UN authority would take control and remove the chems. A very messy and iffy idea it would seem to find the stuff, find anything hidden, and to actually move around the country in the midst of a civil war. Proposing it now by Russia I would think gives Assad and the Russians some cover to avoid US strikes, and buys time, which I would say is the major purpose, whether the weapons are given up or not.

If the US had proposed it before and if it was denied then perhaps the US/allies would have had more political cover to make the strikes. And if Syria had agreed at that plan a that time then the same attempt at a messy process would be tried, I guess.

alfred russel

Quote from: Maximus on September 11, 2013, 06:12:21 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 11, 2013, 06:02:33 PM
Better to go vigilante and blow up the guys home plus those of his friends.  :P
Not sure I agree about the friends, but yea.

We have to attck his friends. One missile is all it takes otherwise. We need more targets.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Minsky Moment

It is almost impressive how Obama has mishandled this.  He has gone wrong at every single step.  A mere incompetent would have gotten a couple things right by sheer accident, but Obama managed to avoid that.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 12, 2013, 10:16:30 AM
It is almost impressive how Obama has mishandled this.  He has gone wrong at every single step.  A mere incompetent would have gotten a couple things right by sheer accident, but Obama managed to avoid that.

What are you talking about?  It takes a great deal of skill and effort to make Putin look like a statesman.

Admiral Yi

Please elaborate.  From where I sit the Putin backdown looks like a massive victory for the US and I honestly don't get the criticism.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 10:51:15 AM
Please elaborate.  From where I sit the Putin backdown looks like a massive victory for the US and I honestly don't get the criticism.

Putin backed down from nothing.  He always wanted a diplomatic resolution and it looks like he will get it, at least he will if Obama has any sense at all and takes the lifeline that has been thrown to him.  More importantly for him, he has made Russia relevant on the world stage, and not as a mere spoiler.

What exactly has the US won? 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 10:51:15 AM

:huh: What the hell you been watching.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

alfred russel

I think canceling the summit with Putin after the Snowden asylum was another blunder for Obama/win for Putin.

Which ultimately doesn't matter. People know what Putin is about. I doubt Obama and his team are so focused on these issues anyway.

frunk

Ideally Obama should have attacked (missiles/bombs) immediately (1-3 days) when evidence of chemical weapons use was found, ideally with prearranged support from France and/or Britain.  Failing that there should have been a delayed attack (missiles/bombs, 4-7 days) with attempts to gather support.  Failing that there should have been increased military and humanitarian support for the less psycho rebel factions and setting up of covert raids using their help to destroy the chemical stockpiles that could be identified.  Failing that you sit around waiting for Congress to do nothing for a long time while letting Putin set up more delays and opportunities for Syria.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 12, 2013, 11:00:05 AM
What exactly has the US won?

We hadn't even reached a decision yet on whether to smack the bad guys or not, and the bad guys peed their pants and ran away.

Although in the stalling tactic category I just heard on NPR that Assad has said he will accept the deal only on the condition that the US give up the threat of attacking.