Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on September 10, 2013, 10:13:20 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 10, 2013, 07:36:31 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2013, 06:53:47 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2013, 06:43:22 PM
Seems like a way for everyone involved to save face.

Don't see how Syria or Russia save.  It's a complete fold.

Syrians don't get bombed.  I'd say that's face saving.

Looking pretty good for no action.  :P

Yeah, looks like you are going to be giving your home address to a lunatic on the Internet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 10, 2013, 09:54:48 PM
How does Russia still have veto power on the Security Council?  Better yet, why are they even still on the fucking Security Council at all, since they're involved in half the shit that should be going to the UNSC's desks?  Is there no mechanism at all for ejecting a blatant obstructionist party?
That would be counterproductive.

The problem isn't the UN, it's th idea tha the UN is or could ever be perfect or just.  That's a little much to ask from an institution whose only purpose is to prevent World War 3.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on September 10, 2013, 11:06:48 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 10, 2013, 10:13:20 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2013, 06:53:47 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2013, 06:43:22 PM
Seems like a way for everyone involved to save face.

Don't see how Syria or Russia save.  It's a complete fold.

Looking pretty good for no action.  :P

Yeah, looks like you are going to be giving your home address to a lunatic on the Internet.

No worries
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Neil on September 11, 2013, 12:01:06 AM
That would be counterproductive.

The problem isn't the UN, it's th idea tha the UN is or could ever be perfect or just.  That's a little much to ask from an institution whose only purpose is to prevent World War 3.

Which is also the reason the UNSC is what it is.  It is composed of the five declared nuclear powers.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 11, 2013, 07:16:14 AM
Which is also the reason the UNSC is what it is.  It is composed of the five declared nuclear powers.

That's only the five permanent members.  There are another ten, but they never get to do shit because Russia and China pretty much veto everything.

I'm sorry, but this is what we've seen with the US House of Representatives this term: all we get is a headcount when veto or bloc voting is abused; it completely undermines a democratic process, and reduces every policy decision to unenforceable mental masturbation with a headcount.
Experience bij!

Tamas

actually it is good they have veto, otherwise they could be cornered into a decision to go to war or lose massive face / interests.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 11, 2013, 07:22:55 AM
That's only the five permanent members.  There are another ten, but they never get to do shit because Russia and China pretty much veto everything.

I'm sorry, but this is what we've seen with the US House of Representatives this term: all we get is a headcount when veto or bloc voting is abused; it completely undermines a democratic process, and reduces every policy decision to unenforceable mental masturbation with a headcount.

Yes, I meant the permanent, veto-holding members.

Anyway, that's Neil's point.  The real, practical purpose for the UN's organization is to keep the five nuclear powers from actually using their arsenals, not fostering a democratic process.  It stemmed from a realization, born of both Word Wars and solidified by the endgame of the second, that the Great Power system breaks down when multiple Great Powers have the power to unilaterally destroy large parts of the world.  Unenforceable mental masturbation was preferable to a worldwide nuclear firestorm, as remote a possibility as that might be.

The Minsky Moment

What would a democratic process look like in this context?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 11, 2013, 09:35:43 AM

Anyway, that's Neil's point.  The real, practical purpose for the UN's organization is to keep the five nuclear powers from actually using their arsenals, not fostering a democratic process.  It stemmed from a realization, born of both Word Wars and solidified by the endgame of the second, that the Great Power system breaks down when multiple Great Powers have the power to unilaterally destroy large parts of the world.  Unenforceable mental masturbation was preferable to a worldwide nuclear firestorm, as remote a possibility as that might be.

Which is why using the UN as a litmus test for taking action on almost anything is ridiculous.

It is a great tool for coordinating action when it allows it, but a terrible tool for vetting what action ought to be taken.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Backing down from a threat is the very definition of losing face.

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on September 11, 2013, 09:44:18 AM

Which is why using the UN as a litmus test for taking action on almost anything is ridiculous.

It is a great tool for coordinating action when it allows it, but a terrible tool for vetting what action ought to be taken.

Well, to a degree. It never hurts to cross-check your intentions with those who a) will be affected by them b) has the means to screw you up

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on September 11, 2013, 09:48:09 AM
Quote from: Berkut on September 11, 2013, 09:44:18 AM

Well, to a degree. It never hurts to cross-check your intentions with those who a) will be affected by them b) has the means to screw you up

Of course, but you don't need the UN for that.

It is handy as a communications tool in that case, but again, my point is that it is ridiculous to operate under the idea that "You don't have UN approval" is a valid reason to not do something.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 11, 2013, 09:46:06 AM

Backing down from a threat is the very definition of losing face.

I think Raz mistook your previous statement ("complete fold") to mean a loss for Syria rather than win.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 11, 2013, 10:02:24 AM
I think Raz mistook your previous statement ("complete fold") to mean a loss for Syria rather than win.

That's right.  I think the Russian proposal, if enacted as stated, is very much a loss of face for Syria.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?