Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I think we should keep drawing red lines until Assad realizes we mean business.  Or something...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Syt

http://www.theguardian.com/global/middle-east-live/2013/sep/09/syria-crisis-russia-kerry-us-live

QuoteSyria crisis: Russia calls on Assad to destroy chemical arsenal - live updates

QuoteDamascus has heartily welcomed a Moscow proposal to undertake a purported disarmament project that coincidentally would make it more difficult for US leaders planning strikes to claim all diplomatic avenues had been exhausted, while not detracting from Assad's day-to-day warmaking ability.

WW3 appears to be delayed for a bit more. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Legbiter on September 09, 2013, 11:26:34 AM
So when's the Pimpslap, aye or nay vote?

I think it'd be cool as shit to fire off the Tomahawks right in the middle of the POTUS address to the nation tomorrow night.  That's the way the ol' Gipper would do it.

Jacob

When is congress going to have a vote on this? Is it going to be put off and waffled for a while, or is it happening soon?

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on September 09, 2013, 01:02:17 PM
When is congress going to have a vote on this? Is it going to be put off and waffled for a while, or is it happening soon?

They were on vacation until this week.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Suggestions are senate vote likely this week and then house either this week or next.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on September 09, 2013, 04:00:42 PM

Suggestions are senate vote likely this week and then house either this week or next.

Interesting times.

It looks like the "consult congress" course of action has proven unpopular with the languish constituency. How's it playing generally in the US?

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on September 09, 2013, 04:02:47 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 09, 2013, 04:00:42 PM

Interesting times.

It looks like the "consult congress" course of action has proven unpopular with the languish constituency. How's it playing generally in the US?

It's less nuanced, but public opinion is pretty firmly against action.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on September 09, 2013, 04:17:11 PMIt's less nuanced, but public opinion is pretty firmly against action.

So on Languish we have "Obama is weak and waffling. Bah."
In America we have "we don't want to get involved, so Obama waffling suits us just fine."
And in the House of Representatives and the Senate we have "what the hell do we do with this?"

Is that a more or less accurate generalization?

Ed Anger

Ed thinks Obama needs to back his words up. Ed likes talking in the third person. Ed is very, very disappointed in the chocolate president.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on September 09, 2013, 04:29:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 09, 2013, 04:17:11 PMIt's less nuanced, but public opinion is pretty firmly against action.

So on Languish we have "Obama is weak and waffling. Bah."
In America we have "we don't want to get involved, so Obama waffling suits us just fine."
And in the House of Representatives and the Senate we have "what the hell do we do with this?"

Is that a more or less accurate generalization?

Languish: I guess

America: I wouldn't say teh people approve of his waffling.  They may be indifferent to it.  But Obama is not doing a good job selling this to them.  He is set up for political embarrassment at this point, but my gut is that his poll numbers won't move much.

Congress:  One big, hairy mess.  Some want boots on the ground, others are "hell no, we won't go".  Some Dems are with the Prez solely out of duty to be good Dems, some Republicans oppose him just to oppose him, both parties' leadership seems to support, but you have a strange coalition of lefty anti-war types, libertarians, and paleoconservatives in lockstep against it.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr