Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

How does Russia still have veto power on the Security Council?  Better yet, why are they even still on the fucking Security Council at all, since they're involved in half the shit that should be going to the UNSC's desks?  Is there no mechanism at all for ejecting a blatant obstructionist party?
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 10, 2013, 08:40:34 PM
They're just buying time for their fave-rave weapons client, and hoping it'll all blow over and preserve the legitimacy of Assad's government.

Where is Syria getting money to buy weapons, or are they buying on credit?  The economy, whatever it once was, has to be complete shit now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 10, 2013, 09:54:48 PM
How does Russia still have veto power on the Security Council?  Better yet, why are they even still on the fucking Security Council at all, since they're involved in half the shit that should be going to the UNSC's desks?  Is there no mechanism at all for ejecting a blatant obstructionist party?

Yeah, let's get rid of China while we're at it.  And maybe just limit it to reliable, sane, and established Western democracies.  Oh wait, we already have that-- NATO :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on September 10, 2013, 10:00:00 PM
Yeah, let's get rid of China while we're at it.  And maybe just limit it to reliable, sane, and established Western democracies.  Oh wait, we already have that-- NATO :P

Which we can't actually put anywhere without a UNSC resolution.  And that's where the problem begins.  NATO's run by too many people who couldn't even access the "NA" without a polar ice cutter.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 10, 2013, 10:02:30 PM

Which we can't actually put anywhere without a UNSC resolution.  And that's where the problem begins.  NATO's run by too many people who couldn't even access the "NA" without a polar ice cutter.

Derspeiss currently has a soft spot for "blatant obstructionist parties". :D
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Sure, we can.  Who is going to stop NATO?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 10, 2013, 09:58:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 10, 2013, 08:40:34 PM
They're just buying time for their fave-rave weapons client, and hoping it'll all blow over and preserve the legitimacy of Assad's government.

Where is Syria getting money to buy weapons, or are they buying on credit?  The economy, whatever it once was, has to be complete shit now.

They're still accepting deliveries on weapons and weapons systems on contracts inked well before the civil war got going.  While the Syrians are certainly getting squeezed these days, it's not uncommon to accept arms deliveries for partial down payments made years in advance.   That new Russian air defense system earmarked for Syria isn't even going to be delivered until June 2014 at the earliest.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on September 10, 2013, 10:08:07 PM

Sure, we can.  Who is going to stop NATO?

Judging by the last decade, A few guys hiding in the mountains with AK-47s.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on September 10, 2013, 07:36:31 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2013, 06:53:47 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2013, 06:43:22 PM
Seems like a way for everyone involved to save face.

Don't see how Syria or Russia save.  It's a complete fold.

Syrians don't get bombed.  I'd say that's face saving.

Looking pretty good for no action.  :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 10, 2013, 10:15:30 PM
Still easier to get a consensus within NATO than with Russian and China.

I agree.  It's been done plenty of times before.

jimmy olsen

I think we can add some Eastern countries like Australia, NZ, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Australia and New Zealand aren't "Eastern countries", no matter what the map says.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 10, 2013, 10:24:01 PM

I think we can add some Eastern countries like Australia, NZ, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan.

Bring back SEATO!