Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2013, 03:05:00 PM
BTW, Kerry should be fired for making up policy on the fly and giving Assad and Putin the out they needed to distract from the fact that ASSAD GASSED A RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOOD IN DAMASCUS.

Apparently Assad has peed his pants and has run off somewhere.  Isnt that good enough for you?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 03:05:57 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 12, 2013, 03:03:15 PM
What are the chances that the next time Syria uses chemical weapons Russia simply says "see I told you it was the Rebels.  All the Syrian chemical weapons have been accounted for"

Nobody is going to accept a monitoring regime that is dependent on Russian good faith.

A couple of months ago I would have said nobody is going to accept a chemical attack on a civilian population.  But even if your assumption holds - how many years do you think it will take to negotiate the necessary protocals?

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 12, 2013, 03:06:27 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2013, 03:05:00 PM
BTW, Kerry should be fired for making up policy on the fly and giving Assad and Putin the out they needed to distract from the fact that ASSAD GASSED A RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOOD IN DAMASCUS.

Apparently Assad has peed his pants and has run off somewhere.  Isnt that good enough for you?

To be honest, the best information out there is that Assad didn't actually order the attack. The order was given by another high level member of the clique as a reaction to an assassination attempt on Assad.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 12, 2013, 03:08:19 PM
A couple of months ago I would have said nobody is going to accept a chemical attack on a civilian population.  But even if your assumption holds - how many years do you think it will take to negotiate the necessary protocals?

If it's going to happen, 2 months for an agreed framework, 2 more months to get it up and running.  If a chem attack takes place during that time, everything gets deleted and we're back to square one.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 03:05:57 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 12, 2013, 03:03:15 PM
What are the chances that the next time Syria uses chemical weapons Russia simply says "see I told you it was the Rebels.  All the Syrian chemical weapons have been accounted for"

Nobody is going to accept a monitoring regime that is dependent on Russian good faith.

What does lack of acceptance look like?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2013, 03:13:42 PM

It looks like the president giving a speech and Congress holding a vote.

And our allies the British and Canadians issuing statements of moral support.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 03:17:17 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2013, 03:13:42 PM

It looks like the president giving a speech and Congress holding a vote.

And our allies the British and Canadians issuing statements of moral support.

Point is, if it doesn't look like the US smashing the shit outta Assad (with or without consensus support), it looks like a win for him.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2013, 03:31:21 PM
Point is, if it doesn't look like the US smashing the shit outta Assad (with or without consensus support), it looks like a win for him.

Debateable.  I think if the US does not smash and Assad never uses chems again it looks very much like a win for the good guys.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 03:33:21 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2013, 03:31:21 PM

Debateable.  I think if the US does not smash and Assad never uses chems again it looks very much like a win for the good guys.

It isn't all about Assad. It is in part about the next time the US says to some bad guys "X behaviour is unacceptable and will be met with force".

Everyone, particularly said bad guys, will be thinking "last time, what the US mean by 'force' was a couple of weeks of dithering, followed by a diplomatic agreement involving Russia, followed by months of wrangling, followed by the 'remedial measures' being found 'unacceptable', followed by speeches ... ".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malthus

Giving Putin the Nobel Peace Prize for his role in this would be the turd icing on this particular shit cake.  :lol:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2013, 03:38:43 PM
It isn't all about Assad. It is in part about the next time the US says to some bad guys "X behaviour is unacceptable and will be met with force".

Everyone, particularly said bad guys, will be thinking "last time, what the US mean by 'force' was a couple of weeks of dithering, followed by a diplomatic agreement involving Russia, followed by months of wrangling, followed by the 'remedial measures' being found 'unacceptable', followed by speeches ... ".

....followed by the bad guy peeing his pants when it looked like the US was starting to get serious.

Can it reasonably be interpreted that there will be one get out of jail free card before there are serious repercussions?  Sure.  If you think that's suboptimal, lobby the other weenie countries to pitch in.

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2013, 03:48:51 PM
Giving Putin the Nobel Peace Prize for his role in this would be the turd icing on this particular shit cake.  :lol:

Don't worry, Jagland the head of the committe hates putin's guts... though he'd never say it out-loud.

lustindarkness

If wars were still fought the way they were, we would not be in all these mess. Since Korea and Vietnam. <_<

War should be destroy or conquer. If not worth nuking or taking over, not worth getting involved.

This message brought to you by Lustindarkness for President Committee.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom