Another reason not to fear China's military might

Started by Jacob, July 24, 2013, 08:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

... their entire officer cadre above the lower grades are basically there on purchased commissions rather than being promoted on any kind of merit.

My wife's cousin is married to a (now former) career military officer... he graduated from a military academy, spent about 20 years in; as far as I can tell he was a competent guy as such things go. On being considered for promotion to - I think it was the equivalent of a Captain but I'm not sure, a command of 100-200 - he was expected to pay a bribe of 1 million RMB to secure the command.

This apparently is completely standard and expected; the military has a reputation of being much more corrupt than government bureaucrats.

So yeah...

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on July 24, 2013, 08:23:23 PM
... their entire officer cadre above the lower grades are basically there on purchased commissions rather than being promoted on any kind of merit.

My wife's cousin is married to a (now former) career military officer... he graduated from a military academy, spent about 20 years in; as far as I can tell he was a competent guy as such things go. On being considered for promotion to - I think it was the equivalent of a Captain but I'm not sure, a command of 100-200 - he was expected to pay a bribe of 1 million RMB to secure the command.

This apparently is completely standard and expected; the military has a reputation of being much more corrupt than government bureaucrats.

So yeah...
:lol: Sounds like 18th century England.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Camerus

I've met a few Chinese in other fields who've done similar things.  The entire society runs on graft and guanxi.

Razgovory

I guess that's the nature of one party states.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Phillip V

In return for bribe, Obama offered me rank of U.S. Army General (4 stars). I refused in order to maintain my honor and integrity.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on July 24, 2013, 09:50:21 PM

It's the nature of China.  Graft and corruption has been business as usual going back through the dynasties.  It's what they do.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on July 24, 2013, 09:50:21 PM
It's the nature of authoritarian regimes.  The only alternative to the rule of graft and connections is the rule of law, but that's a tricky thing to implement for rulers that rule by fiat.

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 24, 2013, 08:25:24 PM

So yeah...

Yet they managed to kick egalitarian French ass ...  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on July 25, 2013, 11:13:52 AM

When your egalitarian system consists of elevating those who play Versailles political games the best, you may not be selecting for the right skills :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

So yeah...

I think it may also have something to do with having nearly all Europe as allies against them.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Anyway, it's not like America has selected its officers based on ability to actually fight a war.  Maybe we've always had those skills, but no American commander has been shown to possess them since 1951.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

fhdz

Quote from: Ideologue on July 25, 2013, 11:28:45 AM
Anyway, it's not like America has selected its officers based on ability to actually fight a war.  Maybe we've always had those skills, but no American commander has been shown to possess them since 1951.

Schwarzkopf?
and the horse you rode in on

Habbaku

Quote from: fhdz on July 25, 2013, 12:26:14 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 25, 2013, 11:28:45 AM

Schwarzkopf?

It's not nice to point out when Ide's talking out of his ass.

Note that this doesn't mean not to do so.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

So yeah...

The British system was the product of a particular time, place and cultural environment.  It isn't something that can likely be transplanted successfully into the modern world - indeed, in Britain itself the purchase system was eventually eliminated when found counter-productive for a modern industrial army in a modern industrial society.   Another thing to consider is that even under the purchase system, a commission could be obtained without payment if vacancies arose while campaigning (i.e. casualties) or through brevet promotions, both which I think were relatively common during the Napoleonic Wars.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on July 25, 2013, 12:30:49 PM
It's not nice to point out when Ide's talking out of his ass.

Note that this doesn't mean not to do so.

Yeah, Ide's just a bit wide of the mark there, but I think we can forgive him, what with his insistence on reviewing shit movies.