Another reason not to fear China's military might

Started by Jacob, July 24, 2013, 08:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Disagree.  The Entente could sit and wait for the blockade to starve the Germans into surrender.

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on July 26, 2013, 10:32:48 AM
In hindsight? Dig in, never attack and use the time and resources to invent everything necessary for a Blitzkrieg to break through the trench line.

Did belligerents lose substantially more in offensive operations then defensive operations?  I was under the impression that loses were massive on both sides in most actions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2013, 05:36:20 PM
Disagree.  The Entente could sit and wait for the blockade to starve the Germans into surrender.

Yes they could, but the entente being democracies that strategy had one significant proviso. The waiting, if it was going to happen at all, was going to happen on the franco-german border.

As for top level leadership of quality...

Kemal, Foch, Haig, Ludendorff, Hindeburg, Petain and Allenby are excellent examples of quality leadership. Germany had the dynamic duo, France had the lethal weapon buddy-cop style pairing and the british had.. well, I've got nothing clever to say comparing haig to allenby.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

So long as Russia doesn't collapse.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on July 27, 2013, 06:42:34 PM

Yes they could, but the entente being democracies that strategy had one significant proviso. The waiting, if it was going to happen at all, was going to happen on the franco-german border.

Kemal, Foch, Haig, Ludendorff, Hindeburg, Petain and Allenby are excellent examples of quality leadership. Germany had the dynamic duo, France had the lethal weapon buddy-cop style pairing and the british had.. well, I've got nothing clever to say comparing haig to allenby.

I disagree that this is a workable strategy.  Surrendering the initiative means the enemy can pick the time and place of battles vastly increasing their chances of winning any given battle and achieving a breakthrough.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 27, 2013, 09:52:36 PM
Surrendering the initiative means the enemy can pick the time and place of battles vastly increasing their chances of winning any given battle and achieving a breakthrough.

In WWI this was of very little value, as things turned out.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

I disagree that this is a workable strategy.  Surrendering the initiative means the enemy can pick the time and place of battles vastly increasing their chances of winning any given battle and achieving a breakthrough.

You really are stupid. Verdun, Somme, Ypres, Marne, Passchendale etc. etc. are all deep in france, well to the west of the franco-german border.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the relative equality of casualties on attacker and defender sides due to endless counterattacks to retake any lost ground?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on July 28, 2013, 12:33:07 AM
Surrendering the initiative means the enemy can pick the time and place of battles vastly increasing their chances of winning any given battle and achieving a breakthrough.

In WWI this was of very little value, as things turned out.

Seemed to be have value in 1918.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on July 28, 2013, 03:43:45 AM

You really are stupid. Verdun, Somme, Ypres, Marne, Passchendale etc. etc. are all deep in france, well to the west of the franco-german border.

Besides your questionable geography what is your point?

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on July 28, 2013, 05:23:31 AM
Quote from: Viking on July 28, 2013, 03:43:45 AM

Besides your questionable geography what is your point?

It's Viking, sometimes he's a bit of a tool, he wanted to insult someone and he pick on you, which conforms to the hole bully meme that sometimes afflicts this place.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

How long would the Russians last if France and the UK were quiet on the western front?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on July 28, 2013, 08:22:31 AM

It's Viking, sometimes he's a bit of a tool, he wanted to insult someone and he pick on you, which conforms to the hole bully meme that sometimes afflicts this place.  <_<

That's just his way of saying hello.  Still he may have a point since I'm not seeing the connection the importance of initiative in combat and Ypres being in France.

Viking