News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is the best Science! museum?

Started by Savonarola, July 26, 2013, 04:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucidor

The Berlin museum of Technology isn't half bad either. With German preconceptions about the patience of the visitors, the tour takes 5-7 hours depending on the level of sign reading.

Some automatic looms, with a form of hole-punch-cards made of wood from the 19th century blew me away.

Some V2 rockets and aviation stuff too.

Savonarola

CB and I went to the Kennedy Space Center Today.  There's a new exhibit featuring the Atlantis that is very well done.  (Though it is kind of sad, since that means the shuttle is now part of history like the Saturn V and the Launch Control Center from the Gemini era.)  KSC has a good introduction to the history and science of space flight.  I think the Astronaut Hall of Fame (also in Titusville) does a better idea of putting the history of space flight in the context of the eras in which it occurred. 

KSC is $50 to visit (a bargain as compared to Disneyworld, but still) and has gift shops everywhere (tour operators joke that Florida law requires one to exit through the gift shop.)

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

For $50 I would want to drive the gigantic rocket transporter and see what happens when I floor it.

Do you know if they charge to sit and watch a launch?

Scipio

Dayton Air Force Museum.  Also, Chicago S&I, Henry Ford, and Smithsonian Air & Space.  National Art Museum in DC is pretty good.  Imperial War Museum, Scottish National Royal Portrait Gallery, and Trinity College Dublin.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on July 27, 2013, 05:41:53 PM
CB and I went to the Kennedy Space Center Today.  There's a new exhibit featuring the Atlantis that is very well done.  (Though it is kind of sad, since that means the shuttle is now part of history like the Saturn V and the Launch Control Center from the Gemini era.)  KSC has a good introduction to the history and science of space flight.  I think the Astronaut Hall of Fame (also in Titusville) does a better idea of putting the history of space flight in the context of the eras in which it occurred. 

KSC is $50 to visit (a bargain as compared to Disneyworld, but still) and has gift shops everywhere (tour operators joke that Florida law requires one to exit through the gift shop.)

Yeah, KSC is an awesome place to visit.  Did you did the Shuttle Launch Experience ride?  Did you ride out to the Apollo/Saturn V Center a well?

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2013, 05:54:09 PM
For $50 I would want to drive the gigantic rocket transporter and see what happens when I floor it.

Do you know if they charge to sit and watch a launch?

It's included with general admission.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2013, 06:01:41 PM

Yeah, KSC is an awesome place to visit.  Did you did the Shuttle Launch Experience ride?  Did you ride out to the Apollo/Saturn V Center a well?

I haven't done the Shuttle Launch Experience Ride yet.  I had been to the Apollo/Saturn V launch control center before; that is amazing.

Barrister

Royal Tyrell Museum in Drumheller.  Jam pack full of dinosaur fossils and interactive displays.  Creationists can suck it!

http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.