News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is the best Science! museum?

Started by Savonarola, July 26, 2013, 04:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I'm curious as to what people on this forum would consider the best science museum.

My personal favorite is the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, Illinois.  It's comprehensive enough that even an engineer can learn something; well maintained so that the hands on displays work, and the principles behind the exhibits are clearly explained.

My favorite museum of Natural History is The American Museum of Natural History.  They still have displays on the savages (though they can't call them that anymore) and an entire floor of dinosaurs.

My favorite aquarium is the Lisbon Oceanarium.  It's comprehensive, vast, and (if you can get away from the screaming Portuguese children) tranquil.

My favorite history of science museum is the Museo Galileo in Florence.  That has an impressive collection of artifacts.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

IMHO you shouldn't talk in terms of what's the best museum of a particular type or that one's better than another; I think their effects are cumulative.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

I'm not that big of a fan of science museums.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: mongers on July 26, 2013, 04:33:28 PM
IMHO you should talk in terms of what's the best museum of particular type or that one's better than another; I think their effects are cumulative.

That's a fascinating point, Mongers.  What do you think is the best museum in the four categories I listed in my initial post (Science and Technology, Natural History, Aquarium and History of Science)?  Why do you think your are better than other museums?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on July 26, 2013, 05:56:18 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 26, 2013, 04:33:28 PM
IMHO you should talk in terms of what's the best museum of particular type or that one's better than another; I think their effects are cumulative.

That's a fascinating point, Mongers.  What do you think is the best museum in the four categories I listed in my initial post (Science and Technology, Natural History, Aquarium and History of Science)?  Why do you think your are better than other museums?

I don't honest thinks I've been to enough museums to say, though I should be getting a few more under my belt next summer.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 26, 2013, 06:03:00 PM
Creationist musuem in Kentucky.

Seconded!

They actually have pretty cool billboards, FWIW.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

To be serious, Chicago and Indy have some rockin' museums for kids. I like the one in Dayton, as it is small, my feet don't hurt walking in it and the Planetarium plays planet caravan.

Which fucking rocks.

derspiess

The COSI museum in Columbus is pretty good.  And the children's museum at the Hall of Justice, erm, Union Terminal is pretty decent.  Kind of expensive to do everything there, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

And of course there is the national musuem of the Air Force, which has both v-2 rockets and Bock's Car.

Boner-riffic.

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 26, 2013, 07:47:30 PM
To be serious, Chicago and Indy have some rockin' museums for kids.
Princesca is at the one in Indy this weekend, in fact.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

Balboa Park in San Diego has a bunch of fun ones, my favorite would be the
Air & Space
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Larch

The Natural History Museum in London runs circles around any other natural history museum in the world.