Main Menu

Changing The Creepy Guy Narrative

Started by garbon, July 18, 2013, 08:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Maximus on July 18, 2013, 02:42:11 PM
"Would you like a blowjob?"

:lol:

Of course, you're hit on all the time by gay men... usually our waiters.  :rolleyes:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

They don't care that he's having dinner with mom?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on July 18, 2013, 02:45:00 PM
:lol:

Of course, you're hit on all the time by gay men... usually our waiters.  :rolleyes:

The hockey doo is like catnip to gay men.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2013, 11:42:10 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 18, 2013, 11:34:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2013, 11:30:49 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 18, 2013, 11:28:11 AM
The problem isn't the guys who have "no problem" with getting shot down by 19 girls. The problem is with the guys who definitely have a problem with being shot down.

I don't know. I think there is still something wrong at the dudes who catcall women insofar as it makes those women uncomfortable.

Catcalling isn't a legitimate pass. No wolf-whistling construction worker seriously hopes that the leggy blonde passing on the sidewalk is going to actually give him her number.  :lol:

What makes the guy in the article creepy isn't that he asked her what she was reading etc., it is that he didn't stop doing it when she clearly indicated she wasn't interested.

Seems all in the same vein of behavior though (although cat calls are further down the spectrum) of giving non-desired attention.  Even from moment one (headphones on, reading book, drawn in posture, on public transport!), it was pretty clear that she wasn't looking to start a chat session.

Meh. I've had women (and men) ask me about the book I was reading on the subway, in some cases merely because they were a fan of the authour or something ("You are reading The Master and Margarita? That's, like, my favorite book!" one lady remarked a year or so ago when I was re-reading it ... given she was about 25 years younger than me, and was with her boyfriend, I doubt she was hitting on me  :lol: ).

That doesn't bother me in the least: in fact, it can be cool.

What makes it uncool, and fast, is if they have an obvious ulterior motive, and (this is the important part) won't take a hint to go away if you aren't interested in their ulterior motive. I once had to actually get off the subway well before my stop to avoid some hardcore "witnessing" that started as an ostensibly friendly chat about what I was reading.  :mad:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Camerus

Quote from: Jacob on July 18, 2013, 01:50:09 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on July 18, 2013, 01:33:13 PM
Both guys came across as wankers.

In your opinion did the writer come across as a wanker because of how he acted in the scenario in question, or because of how he described it when writing about it?

The writing style has a lot to do with it, but I found his whole approach a bit "precious" and affected.

The Brain

How many "creeps" are wingmen for retarded knights in shining armor types?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

The man is being held responsible. He gets his feelings hurt regularly and occasionally has to deal with some gay twit writer. Should he be punished worse than that for the crime of trying to talk to somebody?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: The Brain on July 18, 2013, 04:28:53 PM
How many "creeps" are wingmen for retarded knights in shining armor types?

That would actually be a pretty neat little scheme, if pulled off well.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Phillip V

If you be polite to a creep, he is more likely to rape/murder you.

mongers

Guess I'll have to reconsider my modus operandi.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on July 18, 2013, 03:13:53 PM
You know what I hate? Beggars.

Sometimes you just gotta be magnanimous.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I've seen bitching about this sort of thing elsewhere recently. Its weird considering most advice for guys is that they need to try and go against their natural instsinct and do more of this stuff, not less.
██████
██████
██████

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Tyr on July 19, 2013, 01:15:28 AM
I've seen bitching about this sort of thing elsewhere recently. Its weird considering most advice for guys is that they need to try and go against their natural instsinct and do more of this stuff, not less.

The advice is to harass women until some dork comes to save them?

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on July 19, 2013, 01:15:28 AM

Really? It's weird to you? You can't distinguish between harassment and hitting on someone in a non-harassing way?