Main Menu

Changing The Creepy Guy Narrative

Started by garbon, July 18, 2013, 08:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on July 18, 2013, 11:34:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2013, 11:30:49 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 18, 2013, 11:28:11 AM
The problem isn't the guys who have "no problem" with getting shot down by 19 girls. The problem is with the guys who definitely have a problem with being shot down.

I don't know. I think there is still something wrong at the dudes who catcall women insofar as it makes those women uncomfortable.

Catcalling isn't a legitimate pass. No wolf-whistling construction worker seriously hopes that the leggy blonde passing on the sidewalk is going to actually give him her number.  :lol:

What makes the guy in the article creepy isn't that he asked her what she was reading etc., it is that he didn't stop doing it when she clearly indicated she wasn't interested.

Seems all in the same vein of behavior though (although cat calls are further down the spectrum) of giving non-desired attention.  Even from moment one (headphones on, reading book, drawn in posture, on public transport!), it was pretty clear that she wasn't looking to start a chat session.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 18, 2013, 11:27:29 AM
You guys just love twisting my words in the worst possible way when it comes to subjects like women.

For somebody who still believes in espousing traditional gender roles, e.g., doctoring is for men, nursing is for women, I can see how you'd think creep behavior could be effective, so there's no real need to twist any words.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on July 18, 2013, 11:27:29 AMAnd I don't mean to say that this is the cause for all creeps to act like creeps.  If that certain portion of women were to wise up and stop responding to creepy behavior, I'm sure we'd still have some creeps.

:hug:

Personally I think focusing on women's response to creeps is a distraction in terms of understanding the phenomenon.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 18, 2013, 11:42:06 AM
God I hate that stupid snarky writing style. Douchcanoe? Really?

Of course, this is Languish:  none of us would be happy with anything short of douchehigginsboat.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2013, 11:29:52 AM
I don't really know what you are saying then. Creeps will still exist regardless so seems pretty much like what Jake said that the woman's response is basically a non-factor.

Agree to disagree.  I'm losing interest in the thread.

QuotePerhaps you should reflect on the things you say about women.

Perhaps you shouldn't take those things so seriously.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

The chick's probably on whore pills anyway, so she deserves as many creeps as possible.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 18, 2013, 11:46:28 AM
Perhaps you shouldn't take those things so seriously.

Seriously? I'm writing to you on a break from writing my report at work.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on July 18, 2013, 11:08:33 AM
So you're postulating that all the creepy guys have had at least one success with the creepy method, and that's why they're doing it? Because that's rather circular reasoning in that they'd have had to be successful as creeps to start being creeps.

Nope.  I'd guess that many/most of them have either had the tactic work for them or have seen it work.  And I don't mean to say that this is the cause for all creeps to act like creeps.  If that certain portion of women were to wise up and stop responding to creepy behavior, I'm sure we'd still have some creeps.

You guys just love twisting my words in the worst possible way when it comes to subjects like women.

Then why even bring this up? You're saying that it's women's fault for responding, but then say that even if women didn't, there would still be creeps.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Quote from: merithyn on July 18, 2013, 11:57:05 AM
Quote from: Jacob on July 18, 2013, 11:08:33 AM
So you're postulating that all the creepy guys have had at least one success with the creepy method, and that's why they're doing it? Because that's rather circular reasoning in that they'd have had to be successful as creeps to start being creeps.

Nope.  I'd guess that many/most of them have either had the tactic work for them or have seen it work.  And I don't mean to say that this is the cause for all creeps to act like creeps.  If that certain portion of women were to wise up and stop responding to creepy behavior, I'm sure we'd still have some creeps.

Then why even bring this up? You're saying that it's women's fault for responding, but then say that even if women didn't, there would still be creeps.

Elaborate.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Then she shouldn't dress like that, all whorish and whatnot.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2013, 11:58:19 AM

Then she shouldn't dress like that, all whorish and whatnot.

It was the book. I bet it was 50 Shades of Gray, wasn't it? She should know better. :(

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on July 18, 2013, 12:01:29 PM
All women love kinky fuckery.

This.  The real trick is dealing with the ones that don't know it yet.  :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

merithyn

garbon