News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Changing The Creepy Guy Narrative

Started by garbon, July 18, 2013, 08:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Berkut - in your shoes I think my strategy would still be to tell the kid what's what in a calm manner once or twice. Sure, he'll brush it off and look at you like you're a complete idiot, but later when he's recovering from his own mistakes and figuring out how it all works I'm sure your advice will spring to mind (even if only subconsciously).

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on July 19, 2013, 12:52:57 PM
Berkut - in your shoes I think my strategy would still be to tell the kid what's what in a calm manner once or twice. Sure, he'll brush it off and look at you like you're a complete idiot, but later when he's recovering from his own mistakes and figuring out how it all works I'm sure your advice will spring to mind (even if only subconsciously).

Personally, I've always found the "I wish I'd known..." conversations to be the most useful. The kid gets to mock you for being a moron while listening to how not to be one themselves. Win-win. :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2013, 12:54:55 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 19, 2013, 12:52:57 PM

Personally, I've always found the "I wish I'd known..." conversations to be the most useful. The kid gets to mock you for being a moron while listening to how not to be one themselves. Win-win. :D

My kid is getting a hefty dose of "do as I say, not as I did".  :lol:

As in, "when that pretty Trotskyite chick invites you back to her place to get high on drugs, but coyly will not say which ones, don't go, no matter how hott she looks ...".

Then again, better not to mention that episode at all.  :Embarrass:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Quote from: Berkut on July 19, 2013, 11:15:04 AM
My daughter, while only 10, will have an entirely different set of problems. How to get her to NOT talk to random good looking boys will be a much large issue.

That's right.  It's vitally important for the patriarchal figure to control female sexuality.  Jeez, could you be more Republican?

Quote from: MeriI feel your pain. :glare:

Or matriarchal authority, I guess.  STOP CONFUSING ME.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

merithyn

Quote from: Ideologue on July 19, 2013, 02:49:26 PM
My daughter, while only 10, will have an entirely different set of problems. How to get her to NOT talk to random good looking boys will be a much large issue.

That's right.  It's vitally important for the patriarchal figure to control female sexuality.  Jeez, could you be more Republican?

:D

Ideologue

Bet you take your marching orders from a MAN.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

merithyn

Quote from: Ideologue on July 19, 2013, 03:00:12 PM
Bet you take your marching orders from a MAN.

Heh... Yeah, that's so me. :lol:

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ideologue on July 19, 2013, 02:49:26 PM

:lol: