News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Where should I go this summer?

Started by jimmy olsen, June 24, 2013, 04:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Tim, I assume most of your life you will be living on the east coast of the US?

Europe is relatively easy and cheap to visit from there. Asia and Australia are not.

Also, not to knock other places in Europe, but Paris, London, and Rome are really the essentials. I think a week in any of those cities is plenty, but if you want to split it up there is a fast train between Paris and London.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

I assume you haven't been to PRC? Maybe get a visa and go there?

Another idea is Nepal.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2013, 10:39:43 PM
Tim, I assume most of your life you will be living on the east coast of the US?

Europe is relatively easy and cheap to visit from there. Asia and Australia are not.

Also, not to knock other places in Europe, but Paris, London, and Rome are really the essentials. I think a week in any of those cities is plenty, but if you want to split it up there is a fast train between Paris and London.
And will I have the money and time to do so?  Who knows, the time is now.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Your logic is as dumb as you Timmay.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

He wants to go to Europe and is willing to pay for it, what's so illogical about that?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 25, 2013, 02:08:40 AM
He wants to go to Europe and is willing to pay for it, what's so illogical about that?

Sounds illogical and or sad that he figures he'll never have the chance to go to Europe if he doesn't now. Meanwhile, choosing to skip places he'll certainly never go to then with that mindset.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Uhh, maybe he wants to start a family sometime? That tends to put a damper on the travel budget.

And as he's been living in Asia and taken a few trips in the area already, Europe offers more variety.

garbon

Now you're just making things up. ;)

Also, I don't actually know but I'd imagine Australia is pretty different.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2013, 06:52:45 AM
I'd imagine Australia is pretty different.

Still a fairly lengthy flight from Korea. Also a place with even less history than America.

I mean, if you want to go to Australia, that's cool, but if you don't you aren't going to go just because it's a few hundred dollars cheaper.

garbon

Fair enough. On a different topic, I wonder why Tim didn't seem interested in what A listed as the essentials - given that this could be his only trip to Europe.

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 24, 2013, 05:28:57 PM
I was asking which I should go to, not that I was going to all of them.

If I went to Coppenhagen, I'd probably visit Hamburg. If I went to Prague, I'd probably visit Vienna, etc.

And welcome back Sav! :hug:

That makes more sense.

I've been to Copenhagen.  The city is clean, the people are pleasant and the food is... well, how much do you like herring?  Like Gups said, it is incredibly expensive, much more so than Milan, Paris or London.  Helsingør (Elsinore) and Roskile (Rothskilde) are both nice day trips.  I haven't been to the other cities on your list.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Hamburg is nice for a few days. Probably better than when I was just there as it wouldn't be freezing anymore. :D

katmai

Hello Sav, i won't say welcome back as not sure if this isn't more than a drive by Savonarola sighting. :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 25, 2013, 07:01:44 AM
I mean, if you want to go to Australia, that's cool, but if you don't you aren't going to go just because it's a few hundred dollars cheaper.

Its not just a few hundred.....

Plus Northern Aus is really nice.

jimmy olsen

Actually, I just remembered a new budget airline that is running between Seoul and Osaka. I can get tickets for $250 and see Osaka and Kyoto, use all the money I save on airfare to stay at a swank hotel.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point