And we're back!

Main Menu

Where should I go this summer?

Started by jimmy olsen, June 24, 2013, 04:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Liep on June 24, 2013, 06:33:36 PM
Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2013, 03:45:41 PM
There's no part of Australia (except maybe Tasmania?) that truly gets *cold* in the winter, right?  I thought all of Australia had either a tropical climate or climates like southern California or Florida, depending on humidity.

I was freezing my ass of in southern Australia in the summer or spring, or whatever they call november. Melbournians walking around in winter coats, etc. So I'm guessing yes, it'll get cold.

Does Northern Queensland get horribly hot? I heard Darwin does.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Larch on June 24, 2013, 06:12:58 PM
I don't know if I'd go on an intercontinental trip for just 8 days, and if I did I think I'd keep it to only one place.
I'm taking the autogyro to Austria-Hungary!  :bowler:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 24, 2013, 06:38:04 PM
Quote from: Liep on June 24, 2013, 06:33:36 PM
Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2013, 03:45:41 PM
There's no part of Australia (except maybe Tasmania?) that truly gets *cold* in the winter, right?  I thought all of Australia had either a tropical climate or climates like southern California or Florida, depending on humidity.

I was freezing my ass of in southern Australia in the summer or spring, or whatever they call november. Melbournians walking around in winter coats, etc. So I'm guessing yes, it'll get cold.

I don't think Darwin's in Queensland, but yeah Queensland gets hot and humid, so preferable in winter/spring.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

That does seem very short for going to Europe. You're talking 2 or 3 days lost in just getting there and back, then there's the jetlag...
Prague and Vienna are both nice though.
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Liep on June 24, 2013, 06:42:35 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 24, 2013, 06:38:04 PM

I don't think Darwin's in Queensland, but yeah Queensland gets hot and humid, so preferable in winter/spring.

Yeah Darwin is in NT. I was thinking the QL peninsula area had a very different climate though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Yes, it's got a tropical climate.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

It's fucking hit and humid in Far North Queensland. Down by Brisbane and Surfer's paradise are much more tolerable.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on June 24, 2013, 06:43:08 PM
That does seem very short for going to Europe. You're talking 2 or 3 days lost in just getting there and back, then there's the jetlag...
Prague and Vienna are both nice though.
7 Days sounds good. Those cities are just 250km apart.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Use the travel money to instead buy stock in a mortgage real estate investment trust. They might be oversold right now. Fat dividends.

jimmy olsen

If I had to choose between Vienna and Prague, which would be recommended?

1 Karma Chameleon point

ulmont

Vienna for the inspiration for more alt-hist maps.

garbon

Prague. One small fall for Tim, one giant win for Languish. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 24, 2013, 09:18:21 PM
If I had to choose between Vienna and Prague, which would be recommended?

Vienna.  Definitely.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.