News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Where should I go this summer?

Started by jimmy olsen, June 24, 2013, 04:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

We could have had wonderful Schnitzel. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on June 26, 2013, 07:04:27 AM
Sorry, a ticket to Vienna is like $1400.  :(

Even if you were willing to house me for a week the cost wouldn't come out equal. ;)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Kyoto is the awesome.

Swank hotels?  Save a little dough and stay in a modest ryoken there...they're pretty cool.

Also, Himeji castle is an easy day/train trip from Kyoto.

PDH

You will also get a bonus for fighting in enemy territory.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2013, 10:31:11 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 24, 2013, 09:18:21 PM
If I had to choose between Vienna and Prague, which would be recommended?

Vienna.  Definitely.

Depends on what kind of fun he's looking for actually.  :P

He's a single dude, remember.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 26, 2013, 06:55:29 AM
Actually, I just remembered a new budget airline that is running between Seoul and Osaka. I can get tickets for $250 and see Osaka and Kyoto, use all the money I save on airfare to stay at a swank hotel.

Since you are worried about the possibility of not having enough money to travel to Europe from the east coast at some future date, you could stay at a normal hotel and put the rest into a savings account for a future trip to europe.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 26, 2013, 07:20:12 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 26, 2013, 07:04:27 AM
Sorry, a ticket to Vienna is like $1400.  :(

Even if you were willing to house me for a week the cost wouldn't come out equal. ;)

I don't react too well to having to share my place with people for too long - a few nights would have been ok, but after a week ... I don't think you would have needed the return ticket. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 26, 2013, 06:55:29 AM
Actually, I just remembered a new budget airline that is running between Seoul and Osaka. I can get tickets for $250 and see Osaka and Kyoto, use all the money I save on airfare to stay at a swank hotel.

That makes some sense.

Himeji is cool as is the main history museum in Osaka; definitely something up your alley I'd think. Kyoto is pretty cool, and by far the best way to explore it is by bicycle (you can rent them, and many accommodation places have loaners as well). Some pretty cool palaces and temples in Kyoto as well, with the Shogun's palace being one of the most interesting ones.

I second the suggestion to find a ryokan as well; you can go mid-range or even down-market and have a good time, but swank will be pretty sweet too. Personally, I'd save some of the money for fancy eating if you're into food at all - there are some good kaiseki places in Kyoto (maybe ask Mono, he's the expert there) which are pretty unique experiences.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 26, 2013, 08:53:46 PM
Also, Himeji castle is an easy day/train trip from Kyoto.

Have they unscaffolded that yet? It was under reconstruction when I was in Japan. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Siege

Tim, where should you go this summer?
You should go to hell.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 26, 2013, 10:38:06 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2013, 10:31:11 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 24, 2013, 09:18:21 PM
If I had to choose between Vienna and Prague, which would be recommended?

Vienna.  Definitely.

Depends on what kind of fun he's looking for actually.  :P

He's a single dude, remember.

He's also a history nerd.  The museums in Vienna are OSSUM.

If he's looking for some other kind of fun, apparently he should try Amsterdam.  :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Siege on June 27, 2013, 08:45:40 AM
Tim, where should you go this summer?
You should go to hell.

Oh my.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.