And we're back!

Main Menu

This means war

Started by Jacob, June 17, 2013, 08:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 18, 2013, 01:02:45 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on June 18, 2013, 11:42:53 AM
Ants also won't walk past a line of chalk for some reason.

So you saw that on TV the other day as well?  :lol:

:blush:
and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fahdiz on June 18, 2013, 01:23:29 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 18, 2013, 01:02:45 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on June 18, 2013, 11:42:53 AM
Ants also won't walk past a line of chalk for some reason.

So you saw that on TV the other day as well?  :lol:

:blush:

Unemployment is a motherfucker.  But hey, you definitely get your TV time in.  :lol:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Barrister

Quote from: fahdiz on June 18, 2013, 01:23:13 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2013, 12:22:48 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on June 18, 2013, 12:18:54 PM
You shouldn't need to prune much. Are they in full sun?

Disagree.  Pruning is the secret to a good crop - as with all other fruits.  Those vines can really get going out of control especially on into late July early August.

"Much"

So how much do I prune, and when?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2013, 03:36:16 PM

:mellow:

Quote from: merithyn on June 18, 2013, 12:39:58 PM
They'll need fertilizer probably once more this summer, but then you should be good.

I prune any spindly branches, any that look like they're drying, or any that don't seem to have many flowers on them (less than one or two flowers mean they go bye-bye). When you container garden, it's imperative that you only maintain as much of the plant as is producing for you.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on June 18, 2013, 12:08:10 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 18, 2013, 10:33:29 AM
Some seemed to have misunderstood their orders and had relocated to an adjacent blueberry bush, as of yet unmolested by the enemy. I give them a talking to, and they explained they were acting as a strategic reserve.
:thumbsup:

:lol:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2013, 03:36:16 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on June 18, 2013, 01:23:13 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2013, 12:22:48 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on June 18, 2013, 12:18:54 PM
You shouldn't need to prune much. Are they in full sun?

Disagree.  Pruning is the secret to a good crop - as with all other fruits.  Those vines can really get going out of control especially on into late July early August.

"Much"

Now we enter the true art of gardening.  There is much discussion about this.  My wife has developed a certain feel and expertise for this over the years.  A lot will depend on the quality of your soil and your weather (ie growing conditions).  While you are getting the feel for it you will likely either under or over prune.

But basic rule of thumb - if you already have fruit growing on it - start pruning the new growth.

mongers

Living in the bottom of a river valley during a wet English spring/summer, I have bigger, deadlier garden opponents, namely slugs and snails.  :mad:

First part of the assault was to remove/dig up all nooks and crannies that these critters hid in, for instance discarded overgrown paving slaps behind one of the sheds have been removed, I then tackled some of the invasive species growing in from other peoples gardens/borders.

We've now moved on to the combined operations element of the assault; my garden fed air legions of blackbirds,sparrows,thrushes and robins have joined the fray, resulting in pleasing numbers of snail shells being discard around the place.

Next I intend to replant a lot of potted plants(tending towards bushes/trees) in the ground, hopefully removing still more slug and snail hiding places.  :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on June 18, 2013, 05:06:44 PM
Living in the bottom of a river valley during a wet English spring/summer, I have bigger, deadlier garden opponents, namely slugs and snails.  :mad:

If all else fails you must follow the example of Rome's treatment of Carthage and salt the earth!

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2013, 05:44:21 PM
Quote from: mongers on June 18, 2013, 05:06:44 PM

If all else fails you must follow the example of Rome's treatment of Carthage and salt the earth!

:D

Used up a lot of creosote over the weekend, they don't like that one bit, the couple I accidentally painted.

KRonn

For tomatoes I've been using cages. I got some large and tall square cages to go with smaller round cages someone gave me. Those help a lot with supporting the tomato branches as the plant gets big. I use a lot less ties that way, otherwise tying up branches takes dozens of ties over the summer. Right after planting I do put one stout pole next to the plant and use a few ties as the plant grows, especially until it gets large enough to be supported mainly by the cage.

As for ties I buy a roll of plastic ties from the hardware store made for using on plants. Just pull out and cut off the length needed, then twist it around the branch to secure it to a pole. Very easy, much easier than using string or something you need to tie.

I probably don't prune enough, but I take off the "suckers", small branches that grow in the crook of the plant branches and trunk. I'm going to check out on how to prune tomato plants, as my cherry plants get huge and tall.