News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

This means war

Started by Jacob, June 17, 2013, 08:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Bleach is an great anti personnel weapon for ants.  But you may want to consider the collateral damage to the plants before you begin carpeting bombing with it.

Jacob

Quote from: merithyn on June 18, 2013, 11:41:44 AM
You can try it. Can't do worse than the sticky tape.

:lol:

Very true.

I mean, the sticky tape did take out a few ants since they got covered up as I wrapped it around the bottom of the bush... but I suspect there are many more of the little fuckers where they came from.

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on June 18, 2013, 10:33:29 AM
Some seemed to have misunderstood their orders and had relocated to an adjacent blueberry bush, as of yet unmolested by the enemy. I give them a talking to, and they explained they were acting as a strategic reserve.
:thumbsup:

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2013, 11:53:10 AM

Container.  2 plants.

I grew a planterbox herb garden that mostly turned out well, so this year I branched out to 2 tomato plants and a red chilli plant.  They seem to be doing well, but what do I know...

Container tomato plants need to be fed nutrients if you want decent fruit from them. They're greedy little things. I use Miracle Grow Tomato food, but you might be able to find something cheaper.

Herbs aren't nearly as greedy, though if you've planted fennel, that needs a good bit of food, too.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on June 18, 2013, 12:09:45 PM

Container.  2 plants.

I grew a planterbox herb garden that mostly turned out well, so this year I branched out to 2 tomato plants and a red chilli plant.  They seem to be doing well, but what do I know...

Container tomato plants need to be fed nutrients if you want decent fruit from them. They're greedy little things. I use Miracle Grow Tomato food, but you might be able to find something cheaper.

Herbs aren't nearly as greedy, though if you've planted fennel, that needs a good bit of food, too.

Yup. gave them some general Miracle Grow when planted, and gave them a bit more after one month.

One plant has at least a dozen tiny little tomatoes on it, other just has one or two (but lots of flowers).  Watering daily - they're also really thirsty plants.  The soil in the herbs can stil be damp, but the tomatoes are dry.

My question is really - I'm supposed to prune it, but how much?  I haven't done anything other than pinch off a couple of suckers, and took away any leaves from the bottom couple of inches (they weren't doing real well to begin with).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

fhdz

You shouldn't need to prune much. Are they in full sun?

Also - water the base of the tomato plants; try and avoid watering the leaves.
and the horse you rode in on

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on June 18, 2013, 11:49:27 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2013, 11:43:32 AM
Do we have enough interest on Languish to warrant a general Gardening thread?  I could use some advice on my tomatoes... :hmm:

Container or gardenbed?

Container.  2 plants.

I have two words for you - Alpaca poo.  I believe there are some Alpaca hobby farms in your area.  Get yourself some of the Alpaca poo and dig it into your soil.  You will become the best damn gardener on your block without changing anything else.

Ok, I have some more words for you.

Make sure you prune the tomato plant when you get enough blossoms so that it doesnt expend all its energy on growing bigger.  Instead its resources will be spent on growing the tomato bigger.

Water it a lot.  Tomato plants take up a lot of water.

Make sure you have the branches properly supported so that they dont break.

crazy canuck

Quote from: fahdiz on June 18, 2013, 12:18:54 PM

Disagree.  Pruning is the secret to a good crop - as with all other fruits.  Those vines can really get going out of control especially on into late July early August.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2013, 12:12:36 PM

Yup. gave them some general Miracle Grow when planted, and gave them a bit more after one month.

One plant has at least a dozen tiny little tomatoes on it, other just has one or two (but lots of flowers).  Watering daily - they're also really thirsty plants.  The soil in the herbs can stil be damp, but the tomatoes are dry.

My question is really - I'm supposed to prune it, but how much?  I haven't done anything other than pinch off a couple of suckers, and took away any leaves from the bottom couple of inches (they weren't doing real well to begin with).

They'll need fertilizer probably once more this summer, but then you should be good.

I prune any spindly branches, any that look like they're drying, or any that don't seem to have many flowers on them (less than one or two flowers mean they go bye-bye). When you container garden, it's imperative that you only maintain as much of the plant as is producing for you.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fahdiz on June 18, 2013, 11:42:53 AM
Ants also won't walk past a line of chalk for some reason.

So you saw that on TV the other day as well?  :lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on June 18, 2013, 10:33:29 AM
The Lady Regiment was deployed (under a tarp, according to the strategic plan devised by the supplier of the Lady Regiment).

Sounds so incredibly British.  I bet they use British salute etiquette as well.  Did you play Scotland the Brave during deployment?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2013, 11:54:19 AM
Bleach is an great anti personnel weapon for ants.  But you may want to consider the collateral damage to the plants before you begin carpeting bombing with it.

Good idea, McNamara.  Nothing like blowing back the tree line a few klicks.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 18, 2013, 01:05:30 PMSounds so incredibly British.  I bet they use British salute etiquette as well.  Did you play Scotland the Brave during deployment?

I should have now that you mention it, but I went with Ride of the Valkyries. Can't go wrong with that.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on June 18, 2013, 01:11:40 PM
I should have now that you mention it, but I went with Ride of the Valkyries. Can't go wrong with that.

So not Ladybuggish.  For God's sake man they're Paras, not Air Cav.  OPERATION MARKET JACOB GARDEN

fhdz

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2013, 12:22:48 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on June 18, 2013, 12:18:54 PM

Disagree.  Pruning is the secret to a good crop - as with all other fruits.  Those vines can really get going out of control especially on into late July early August.

"Much"
and the horse you rode in on