Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 23, 2016, 10:44:42 AM
Doesn't matter.  The seals have been broken.  The prophecies are coming to pass.  It can't be turned off. 

This isn't about winning an election anymore;  this is about destroying God's work now.

This. Timmy, and America, need to accept what Fate has chosen for us.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 23, 2016, 10:44:42 AM
Doesn't matter.  The seals have been broken.  The prophecies are coming to pass.  It can't be turned off. 

This isn't about winning an election anymore;  this is about destroying God's work now.

We need a Two One Zebra.  :(

Barrister

Has anyone watched the "Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifanaikis" with Hillary that dropped yesterday?

Reasonably amusing, and quite short (at 5 minutes or so).  Clinton gives a good :yeahright: face at Galifanaikis as he asks a number of absurd questions.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2016, 12:46:09 PM
Has anyone watched the "Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifanaikis" with Hillary that dropped yesterday?

Reasonably amusing, and quite short (at 5 minutes or so).  Clinton gives a good :yeahright: face at Galifanaikis as he asks a number of absurd questions.
the email part at the end got a chuckle out of me.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/09/ohio-voting-purge/501404/?utm_source=atlfb

QuoteOhio can't summarily kick tens of thousands of voters off its rolls simply for not having voted recently and not returning a postcard, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals said on Friday.

The decision comes just 46 days before the election day, and as tens of thousands of Buckeye State voters have already requested early ballots. But the decision could still be appealed, as one judge noted in his partial dissent.

Ohio has seen a couple high-profile fights over voting laws this year, disputes that have particular importance because the state is a crucial swing state in every presidential election. In this case, Secretary of State Jon Husted, a Republican, decided to remove voters from the state's rolls if they had not voted for six years. The state sent a mailing to these voters asking them to reply if they were still living in their locations and voting, but the mailers neither stated that a reply was mandatory nor made it clear that failing to reply could result in removal from rolls. "If this is [a] really important thing to you in your life, voting, you probably would have done so within a six-year period," Husted said.

Moves such as these tend to disproportionately affect voters in urban areas, who are more likely to move frequently. That in turns means a disproportionate impact on poorer and blacker voters—who happen to be more likely to vote Democratic. Homeless advocates said the purges unfairly targeted those without a stable address.

Voting advocates sued Husted, saying the purge violated the National Voting Rights Act and asking for either an injunction to block the removal or else a requirement to count provisional ballots from people who were removed. They lost in federal district court, but the appeals court decision today concluded that the lower court was mistaken. By a 2-1 ruling, the three-judge panel said that the plaintiff's claims were not made irrelevant when Husted mailed out a second notice with more information, and it ruled that Ohio had to inform people moving out of state about how to register in their new residence.

Judge Eric Clay, a Bill Clinton appointee, and Judge Julia Gibbons, a George W. Bush appointee, ruled in favor of the plaintiffs. Judge Eugene Siler, a George H.W. Bush appointee, dissented in part and concurred in part.

Assuming the ruling is not overturned by a higher court, it's hard to know what effect it might have on the election. As a Cincinnati Enquirer investigation found, no one really knows how many voters have actually been purged.

In a separate case, Husted was sued for eliminating "Golden Week," a stretch in which Ohioans could both register to vote and cast an early ballot. A district court ruled against Husted in that case, but in August a different Sixth Circuit panel ruled that Husted was within his rights to eliminate it.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quotethe appeals court decision today concluded that the lower court was mistaken. By a 2-1 ruling, the three-judge panel said that the plaintiff's claims were not made irrelevant when Husted mailed out a second notice with more information, and it ruled that Ohio had to inform people moving out of state about how to register in their new residence.

This seems bizarre to me.

Martinus

I really really really do not understand the US voter ID controversy. In Poland (and I suspect most of continental Europe) you can't vote without an ID.

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2016, 01:45:08 PM
I really really really do not understand the US voter ID controversy. In Poland (and I suspect most of continental Europe) you can't vote without an ID.

Does Poland have mandatory ID, and do citizens have to register their main residence with the state?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Our IDs are different.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on September 23, 2016, 01:49:16 PM

Does Poland have mandatory ID, and do citizens have to register their main residence with the state?

Yes and yes (although the latter is not really enforced and most people ignore it, but vote in the place of actual, not registered residence by getting a special certificate).

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on September 23, 2016, 01:50:00 PM

Our IDs are different.

We don't need no stinkin' badges.

Zanza

Registered voters in Germany get a letter or postcard that invites them to vote. That notification is all you need to vote. You only need an ID if you don't have that notification with you.

Barrister

Ted Cruz endorses Trump.

I have to think that's an incredibly poor strategy for him to take.  When he unloaded about Trump the day before he dropped out he used some really strong language about Trump.  "pathological liar".  "utterly amoral".  "a narcissist at a level I don't think this country's ever seen".

And he's voting for him for President?!?  What does that say about your judgment?

Second one of the reasons he's doing it was 'because he promised to support the nominee'.  If that was the case, why wouldn't he have backed Trump back at the convention?

I don't really fault someone like Rubio for endorsing Trump early on because of precisely that reason - he signed a pledge he would.  But Cruz was the one who went on national TV to say "vote your conscience", and pointedly declined to endorse Trump.  If he would have stuck with that I would respect him.  But such an epic flip-flop?

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.