News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

I am in. :thumbsup:  BenedictArnold.  I figured out how to make a close aproximation of TOS Uniforms:  Use the TNG Movie uniform and adjust the colors to make only the undershit black, with either Red, Yellow, or Blue on the rest.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

citizen k

Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2010, 05:25:02 PM
But anyways, look for me in the 25th century this weekend.

We always look for you in the 25th century, BB.  ;)

katmai

Quote from: Berkut on January 15, 2010, 10:51:23 AM
The basic problem I see right now with the spaceship combat is that it isn't ranged.

You basically have to be right on top of the other guy to shoot. So there really isn't any "maneuver" per se, just circling trying to keep a stronger shield facing their weaker shield, which is going to be done by running around in circles, then running around in a circle in the other direction.

Interstellar combat at knife fighting range. I suspect fleet battles will be a giant swirling mess of ships blasting away, with no reason to have any kind of formation.

Stop trying to make decisions from just playing tutorial, it's like judging wow from starter areas only :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2010, 12:11:01 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2010, 06:53:43 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2010, 01:55:52 AM
It's really funny.  My Mac is usually super quiet.  But when I fire up STO the fan soon starts going full blast.  I just quit STO, and within a few seconds it starts spooling down.

I guess it just is really demanding on the processor/graphics card causing a lot of heat, but no other game has ever done that to it.

I'm not alone! My computer is also super quiet but STO makes the HDD spin like a motherfucker.

It's not my HDD though.  It's the system fan than runs at full blast throughout the entire game.

It's been awhile so I'm going to blast some compressed air and clean it out.  See if that helps at all.

Found a thread on the Tech help forums.  I'm not alone with the game causing overheating issues.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Crap was gonna log in and see that server is down for 1hr maintenance.

Barrister

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Silly website is saying server down, but GF if playing :o

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on January 15, 2010, 03:18:08 PM
I finished the tutorials as Andorian "female" tac person. I have a human female engineer and a female betazoid science officer.  :blush:

And I have a Miranda class ship.
Andorians have 4 genders, it's not as simple as male or female.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 15, 2010, 11:07:30 PM
I finished the tutorials as Andorian "female" tac person. I have a human female engineer and a female betazoid science officer.  :blush:

That's non-canon. :nerd:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Andorian

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 15, 2010, 11:07:30 PM

I know that. Which is why I put female in quotation marks.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I also guess that while Andorians find fourways pretty normal, they probably frown on threesomes or fivesomes. Swinger parties would take one heck of an organization effort.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Quote from: katmai on January 15, 2010, 08:51:02 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 15, 2010, 10:51:23 AM
The basic problem I see right now with the spaceship combat is that it isn't ranged.

You basically have to be right on top of the other guy to shoot. So there really isn't any "maneuver" per se, just circling trying to keep a stronger shield facing their weaker shield, which is going to be done by running around in circles, then running around in a circle in the other direction.

Interstellar combat at knife fighting range. I suspect fleet battles will be a giant swirling mess of ships blasting away, with no reason to have any kind of formation.

Stop trying to make decisions from just playing tutorial, it's like judging wow from starter areas only :P

Where is the fun in that???
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Crap - another emergency maintenance?

On an unrelated note:  the Barrister's house guests have got to go.  It was a Friday night, wife is out of town, I planned to geek out on STO.  But the resident nine year old just had to hang out in my man-cave/office, just had to watch crappy Disney channels shows, and generally hover around and engage me in inane conversations.  Now he's a decent kid, but he's not my kid, so I just retreated into my bedroom.  :mad:

Now it's 10:20, I can come back to my mancave/office, and the damn servers are down. :mad:

(by the way it isn't a cave at all - several nice big windows with mountain views.  But you get the idea)

katmai