The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 15, 2010, 02:03:11 PM
That is the sense I have of it, although Katmai thinks its just because I have not gone through the missions that require me to find a group yet.

I have, and there really isn't anything there that a swarm of NPC controlled friendly ships couldn't handle.  It wouldn't be as good as a swarm of player controlled ships, I guess, but what difference does it really make?  There's hardly any interaction between players at all, aside from maybe shooting the same NPC at the same time.  Maybe some comments here or there in team/local chat.  They might as well be NPCs as it is.

Edit:  If you want to check out group combat right now, you can go to Station 24 or one of the enemy ships circling around on the warp map.  Not really missions (unless you get assigned one that sends you to those places, I guess), but you can't do those solo, and there are usually some people there.

Strix

Quote from: Berkut on January 15, 2010, 10:51:23 AM
The basic problem I see right now with the spaceship combat is that it isn't ranged.

You basically have to be right on top of the other guy to shoot. So there really isn't any "maneuver" per se, just circling trying to keep a stronger shield facing their weaker shield, which is going to be done by running around in circles, then running around in a circle in the other direction.

Interstellar combat at knife fighting range. I suspect fleet battles will be a giant swirling mess of ships blasting away, with no reason to have any kind of formation.

So, it's more like aerial combat than naval?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Strix on January 15, 2010, 02:26:21 PM

Combat takes place 10km and in, so even closer range than that can be.

Barrister

Quote from: Strix on January 15, 2010, 02:26:21 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 15, 2010, 10:51:23 AM
The basic problem I see right now with the spaceship combat is that it isn't ranged.

You basically have to be right on top of the other guy to shoot. So there really isn't any "maneuver" per se, just circling trying to keep a stronger shield facing their weaker shield, which is going to be done by running around in circles, then running around in a circle in the other direction.

Interstellar combat at knife fighting range. I suspect fleet battles will be a giant swirling mess of ships blasting away, with no reason to have any kind of formation.

Somewhere in between.  Ships still seem like they have some weight and momentum, and can't turn on a dime.  But they're a lot faster than actual naval vessels.

So far what seems like the best strategy is to stay at right angles to the enemy, so you can fire with both forward and aft phasers, then turn in and fire torpedoes when a shield is down.  But with more abilities and more ship customization I'm sure it'll get more intricate.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2010, 02:36:07 PM
But with more abilities and more ship customization I'm sure it'll get more intricate.

There are turrets that shoot 360 degrees.  I have one of those slapped on the ass end of my ship, so I can just unload everything when the badguy is in the forward torpedo arc.  It doesn't do as much damage as a regular phasor or disruptor bank, but it makes up for it by always shooting, no matter what angle.  There are also cannons with 45 (IIRC) and 90 degree firing cones that seem to be more irritating than they're worth with the shitty starter ship and it's lack of maneuverability.

Mine layers are kinda fun too, if you dump them out at the right time.

Barrister

So far what seems like the best strategy is to stay at right angles to the enemy,

Thinking about it, that's actually a very naval combat concept. :nelson:

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2010, 02:45:26 PM
So far what seems like the best strategy is to stay at right angles to the enemy,

Thinking about it, that's actually a very naval combat concept. :nelson:
Yeah, I am pretty sure that is what Incan torpedo boats do.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

I finished the tutorials as Andorian "female" tac person. I have a human female engineer and a female betazoid science officer.  :blush:

And I have a Miranda class ship.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

After obtaining a beta key, I am now downloading the beta client.  Mayhap this shall be my replacement for WoW instead of LotRO.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Tamas

I have given my beta acc to a friend of mine so Tarsyk will be someone else from here on out. I will buy it, prolly off Steam, and perhaps return to beta, but will likely wait until release

Tamas

Barrister

Savonarola is awesome by the way.  He in fact did buy some crap at Del Taco and give me the code.  :hug:

I'm going to mail him a Yukon First Nations art post card in thanks. :Canuck:

Barrister

So after several days of barely being able to play, my wife has gone out of town and I plan on geeking out with STO all weekend.

I think I might re-roll however.  I'm not crazy about how my Vulcan looks, and would like to re-do the tutorial.

But anyways, look for me in the 25th century this weekend.

katmai

MBM

You want to head to the sector south of the starting area.

You should get a mission at lvl 6 to meet a Commander Wildman at Satrbase K7, she will give you access to pvp vs non ai klingons.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 15, 2010, 02:18:28 PM

Edit:  If you want to check out group combat right now, you can go to Station 24 or one of the enemy ships circling around on the warp map.  Not really missions (unless you get assigned one that sends you to those places, I guess), but you can't do those solo, and there are usually some people there.

And those fleet actions like defend starbase 24 are similar to the warhammer public instances that the higher 'score" you get at end of the battle the nicer the enhancement you will receive. I topped out in 1st place in one and recieved a nice sensor array for science slot.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son