The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Oh that's might explain why I can't find how to do that :lol:

I have 2 mouse button that are map to Num Pad 3 & 8 which are skill 1 & 2.
Arrows for movement, Home is sprint.
Interact is Right Shift
Page Up & Page Down are throttle
Y is auto-run.

Haven't played much with the rest.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

The basic problem I see right now with the spaceship combat is that it isn't ranged.

You basically have to be right on top of the other guy to shoot. So there really isn't any "maneuver" per se, just circling trying to keep a stronger shield facing their weaker shield, which is going to be done by running around in circles, then running around in a circle in the other direction.

Interstellar combat at knife fighting range. I suspect fleet battles will be a giant swirling mess of ships blasting away, with no reason to have any kind of formation.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on January 15, 2010, 10:51:23 AM
Interstellar combat at knife fighting range. I suspect fleet battles will be a giant swirling mess of ships blasting away, with no reason to have any kind of formation.

So they remain true to the movies and tv shows? Cool.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Yeah.  It'll probably look cool, though (though not resemble the naval battles I think we all want it to).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on January 15, 2010, 07:16:43 AM
Not enough RAM

That shouldn't be a problem for me.

The problem instead is "Windows XP doesn't recognize enough RAM". <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on January 15, 2010, 10:51:23 AM
You basically have to be right on top of the other guy to shoot. So there really isn't any "maneuver" per se, just circling trying to keep a stronger shield facing their weaker shield, which is going to be done by running around in circles, then running around in a circle in the other direction.

The basic range is 10k.   Looking ahead at the skills and components it looks like that will vary depending on weaponry.  You are using the basic craft.

Also, instead of just circling around to keep a strong shield at the target try shifting your shields while you stay in the arc of his weak shielded area.

One thing I would like to see is the ability to target mutiple craft.  I assume that will come with skills/components as you progress.

Barrister

I just picked up my first few skills and can already see how they'll add more options to space combat.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2010, 06:53:43 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2010, 01:55:52 AM
It's really funny.  My Mac is usually super quiet.  But when I fire up STO the fan soon starts going full blast.  I just quit STO, and within a few seconds it starts spooling down.

I guess it just is really demanding on the processor/graphics card causing a lot of heat, but no other game has ever done that to it.

I'm not alone! My computer is also super quiet but STO makes the HDD spin like a motherfucker.

It's not my HDD though.  It's the system fan than runs at full blast throughout the entire game.

It's been awhile so I'm going to blast some compressed air and clean it out.  See if that helps at all.

Barrister

One interesting (and not in a good way) thing I learned on the sTO forums:

The lifetims subscription gives you two extra character slots.  That seems like it'll be a big thing, since Cryptic confirmed you'll only get two character slots.  Once you unlock Klingons, you'll get a third slot (which you don't need to use for a Klingon).

Only 3 slots.  Ever.

The tried to justify it saying how much more data is required for each STO character slot, since you have not just the character, but up to 5 ships, up to 10 bridge officers, etc.  And there's less need I think for crafting alts or bank alts.  But it doesn't seem like a lot.

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on January 14, 2010, 04:42:23 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on January 14, 2010, 03:52:28 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 14, 2010, 02:02:27 AM
No seriously - anyone live near a Del Taco?  :)

I'm pretty sure I live several thousand miles away from one...

There are a couple in Metro Detroit.  Do you still need someone to pick up a code for you?

Yes please. :hug:

PMed you the code, live long and prosper.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

MadBurgerMaker

Hm.   I don't feel like running these boring missions anymore.  Where do I go for PvP?  :hmm:  Is there even any at all in the beta?  If so, are there actually consequences when you die shooting at other players?  There don't seem to be any when you get blown up while orbiting NPCs.  Just the respawn timer, and if you're alone, the NPC ships seem to move back to their starting positions.

Grallon

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 15, 2010, 01:33:48 PM
Hm.   I don't feel like running these boring missions anymore.  Where do I go for PvP?  :hmm:  Is there even any at all in the beta?  If so, are there actually consequences when you die shooting at other players?  There don't seem to be any when you get blown up while orbiting NPCs.  Just the respawn timer, and if you're alone, the NPC ships seem to move back to their starting positions.

:lol: Seems like this one is cut from the same cloth as the other MMOs - I'll pass.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Grallon on January 15, 2010, 01:35:59 PM
  :lol: Seems like this one is cut from the same cloth as the other MMOs - I'll pass.

G.

It actually kind of feels like it's a regular single player type game with multiplayer instead of an MMO, if you know what I mean.  To be fair though, I may be missing something, since this is only my second day in the beta.

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 15, 2010, 01:59:54 PM
It actually kind of feels like it's a regular single player type game with multiplayer instead of an MMO, if you know what I mean.  To be fair though, I may be missing something, since this is only my second day in the beta.

That is the sense I have of it, although Katmai thinks its just because I have not gone through the missions that require me to find a group yet.

Barrister

Quote from: Grallon on January 15, 2010, 01:35:59 PM

Just in case there was any doubt:

this game may be sown  together in a slightly different style, but it definitely cut from the same MMO cloth.

That being said G, it's not a bad cloth.  Many people have enjoyed MMOs.