News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 14, 2010, 10:08:27 PM
Poor Berkut.

Damn, lifetime is expensive.

Aye comes with playable borg incentive.

And the app is up for me, must be your sucky mac beeb.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

As I was telling FD in-game, you can fly all around earth and it's neat to see how it looks from space... like the eastern half of the US is one giant city.  Oh and Haiti is still a P.O.S.  :Embarrass:

Also there are colonies all over the moon.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

It's really funny.  My Mac is usually super quiet.  But when I fire up STO the fan soon starts going full blast.  I just quit STO, and within a few seconds it starts spooling down.

I guess it just is really demanding on the processor/graphics card causing a lot of heat, but no other game has ever done that to it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

I like the space battles so far, they are like the simplified, or rather MMO-izied version of the star fleet battles games for the PC. Altough, despite it feels simplified, I haven't found the element which simplifies it, because it does have shield and weapon arcs, energy distribution management, plus officer skills.

Yeah it doesn't take a Nelson to win the battles but hey, the shield and weapon arcs alone raise the complexity well above normal MMO level.

And Berkut, why don't you redownload this thing, I have yet to get anything more serious than some lag, and I live on the other side of the world FFS.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2010, 01:55:52 AM
It's really funny.  My Mac is usually super quiet.  But when I fire up STO the fan soon starts going full blast.  I just quit STO, and within a few seconds it starts spooling down.

I guess it just is really demanding on the processor/graphics card causing a lot of heat, but no other game has ever done that to it.

I'm not alone! My computer is also super quiet but STO makes the HDD spin like a motherfucker.

Tamas

Grey Fox

That's true but Windows XP 32bit can only handle so much.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on January 14, 2010, 08:13:02 PM
Quote from: katmai on January 14, 2010, 07:49:47 PM
Beeb, no not every enemy has personal shields.

So can you disintegrate those enemies with a single phaser blast?

Rifle, aim, use sniping ability from a flanking position and the guy is very dead. Even from non-flanink he gets near-dead at the very least

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2010, 07:23:21 AM
That's true but Windows XP 32bit can only handle so much.

Hm strange, I also have only that much but no problems, probably then there is (are) memory leak(s)

Grey Fox

It's just a fast spinning, I'm not worried, just surprised.

Berkut

PLayed the tutorial alst night, crashed after we killed the Borg shield array and I was supposed to bean back to my ship.

The space combat so far is kind of anemic. Seems like the ships are all right on top of each other flying around in a circle blasting away.

The ground combat seems pretty fun though. I like the importance of flanking.

Will play some more tonight I imagine.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Yeah, in my limited experience so far I like ground ops much better than ship ops.  Part of that could be getting used to the controls.  Because I'm left-handed I *hate* WASD keyboard configs and usually remap ASAP, but given the other hotkeys right near WASD you need for ship combat, I am trying not doing that, for at least a little while.

Grey Fox

I'm also Left Handed. I have remapped everything.

Caliga

What setup did you create for yourself?

I should note that, with ground combat at least, it's already possible to use the arrow keys to move around.  I think you need the arrow keys (by default) in space for shield power redirection.