News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Washington Named Britain's Greatest Foe

Started by Faeelin, April 15, 2012, 05:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 17, 2012, 02:53:14 PM
The Battle of the Boyne?
Yeah, William fought Irish Jacobites and French soldiers, not a British army.

QuoteWilliam the I was invited as well.  At least he said so.
Well that's out of the timeframe.  But I also think there's a key difference.  Parliament did the inviting and, by that point, that's the representative of Britain/England not whoever happens to have been crowned king.  I understand Euros struggling with this, but Americans should get it :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2012, 02:59:03 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 17, 2012, 02:53:14 PM
The Battle of the Boyne?
Yeah, William fought Irish Jacobites and French soldiers, not a British army.

To the best of my knowledge it was a battle between a combined Dutch/Danish army against a French/Irish one. Britain had very little to do with the whole thing apart from being the prize in the contest.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

William the Bastard was not invited.  He was promised the succession and when that promise was breached he invaded.

Razgovory

Out of the time for the poll perhaps.  Did Parliament have the power to dismiss and appoint a King at the time?  Presumably Edward the Confessor had the power to legally designate his heir.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 17, 2012, 03:04:32 PM
William the Bastard was not invited.  He was promised the succession and when that promise was breached he invaded.

Sounds like an invitation.  Unless Edward was going to make him king of someplace other then England.  I think William had many supporters in England already at that the time.  England was already starting to undergo "Normanization".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2012, 03:10:53 PM
Sounds like an invitation.  Unless Edward was going to make him king of someplace other then England.  I think William had many supporters in England already at that the time.  England was already starting to undergo "Normanization".

Though a surprisng few number of them were actually from Normandy.  It seems William recruited pretty widely.  I guess: 'Come fight and get a piece of England...oh and the Pope says it is your holy duty' is a good recruiting pitch.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Sounds like an invitation.  Unless Edward was going to make him king of someplace other then England. 

I am not sure what you mean Raz.  Edward the Confessor first promised the succession and then revoked that promise.  If I invite you to my house and then call you and say you are no longer invited, you cannot take the position you continued to be invited in as the police drag you away for trespassing.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2012, 03:08:58 PM
Out of the time for the poll perhaps.  Did Parliament have the power to dismiss and appoint a King at the time?  Presumably Edward the Confessor had the power to legally designate his heir.
Parliament had just executed a King.  Their view was that James had broken the contract between nation and Monarch.  He'd therefore vacated the throne because he was no longer a legitimate monarch. 

Actually Parliament went through a long debate on their relationship with William.  They obviously circumscribed the powers of the executive but a big issue was whether they could be said to be 'electing' or 'acclaiming' a king.  They also made the King and all future Kings swear an oath to abide by the laws of England. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

I think we do have to take account of English perceptions when we talk about these matters. William the Bastard's invasion was a conquest; Raz is correct about the Normanisation of Saxon England that occured prior to the invasion, but that doesn't alter the fact that people have always counted it as an invasion and conquest. Dutch William was invited, this annoyed certain Jacobites and Irishmen, but for Protestant Englishmen was a triumph.

Now, after William's intervention England devoted herself to fighting the French, which suited Holland of course. But it also suited English public opinion, which had already been upset at Charles II's role as a French pensioner and cut up rough when an overt catholic came to the throne.

CountDeMoney

Who is William the Bastard?  Is he any relation to William the Conqueror?

Richard Hakluyt

That's him, bloody bastard taking away our ancient liberties  ;)

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2012, 03:26:05 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2012, 03:08:58 PM
Parliament had just executed a King.  Their view was that James had broken the contract between nation and Monarch.  He'd therefore vacated the throne because he was no longer a legitimate monarch. 

Actually Parliament went through a long debate on their relationship with William.  They obviously circumscribed the powers of the executive but a big issue was whether they could be said to be 'electing' or 'acclaiming' a king.  They also made the King and all future Kings swear an oath to abide by the laws of England.

I'll take that as a no.  They did not have a legal right.

And Just because an invasion is popular with the people (or at least some of them), doesn't mean it wasn't an invasion.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2012, 06:48:42 PM
I'll take that as a no.  They did not have a legal right.
I don't know where you'd get that from.

Of course Parliament had the legal right.  They executed a King, the acclaimed a King, they established a legal oath for all future monarchs to swear to and they then passed a law regulating what monarchs can and can't do.  Given all of that I think it would be absurd to say that they don't also have the right, for example, to depose a King or - which is what they did - to say a King's behaviour has meant he's effectively abdicated.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 17, 2012, 03:23:48 PM
Sounds like an invitation.  Unless Edward was going to make him king of someplace other then England. 

I am not sure what you mean Raz.  Edward the Confessor first promised the succession and then revoked that promise.  If I invite you to my house and then call you and say you are no longer invited, you cannot take the position you continued to be invited in as the police drag you away for trespassing.

I think the history is a bit iffy on that part.  Edward was not alive at the time William conquered England, so a more apt analogy is that you write a will that leaves me all your property.   You die, and I come to claim that property.  Then some family members of yours claim that the will has been superseded by death bed wish or something like that.  At which point I feel duly invited, and land an army of knights to over your house and kill your relatives.  Punch was later served.