News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Washington Named Britain's Greatest Foe

Started by Faeelin, April 15, 2012, 05:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

QuoteThe American was voted the winner in a contest run by the National Army Museum to identify the country's most outstanding military opponent.
He was one of a shortlist of five leaders who topped a public poll and on Saturday was selected as the ultimate winner by an audience of around 70 guests at a special event at the museum, in Chelsea, west London.

In second place was Michael Collins, the Irish leader, ahead of Napoleon Bonaparte, Erwin Rommel and Mustafa Kemal Atatürk.
At the event, each contender had their case made by a historian giving a 40 minute presentation. The audience, who had paid to attend the day, then voted in a secret ballot after all five presentations had been made.

Dr Stephen Brumwell, who had championed Washington, said: "As British officers conceded, he was a worthy opponent."

The shortlist of five were selected from an initial list of 20 candidates, drawn up by the museum's curators.

To qualify, each commander had to come from the 17th century onwards – the period covered by the museum's collection – and had to have led an army in the field against the British, thus excluding political enemies, like Adolf Hitler.

The contest was designed to not only identify Britain's most outstanding opponent, but also to draw attention to some lesser-known adversaries.
Most of the 20 fought in various colonial wars, such as Ntshingwayo kaMahole, the Zulu leader and victor of Isandlwana, one of the British army's greatest military defeats, and Tipu Sultan, known as the "Tiger of Mysore", who resisted British expansion in India.
Alongside Rommel, the only Second World War leader was Tomoyuki Yamashita, the Japanese commander who oversaw the fall of Singapore. The one woman on the list was Rani of Jhansi, who fought British forces in nineteenth century India.

The online poll was launched in the middle of February, and around St Patrick's Day – March 17 – there was a surge in support for Michael Collins, although several people pointed out on the museum's website that, technically, the guerrilla leader never led an army on a battlefield.
He took a strong lead, but the contest was later featured in the Turkish media, leading to wave of support for Atatürk, who ended up winning with more than 3,000 votes – 40 per cent of those cast.

The museum selected the format – of an online poll followed by a closed vote – to filter out tactical voting, reducing the risk that a candidate could win thanks to orchestrated "block" voting – along national lines – rather than on the specific criteria of their performance in battle against the British. The eventual winner, George Washington, came fourth in the online poll, with less than two per cent of the vote.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9204961/George-Washington-named-Britains-greatest-ever-foe.html

I laughed, but then I remembered that unlike the other contenders, he actually won, and killed soldiers in the British army in their sleep on Christmas.

Viking

I'd like to vote for Gaius Suetonius Paulinus. I'm sorry but wiping out the largest army Britain has ever assembled under a unified command on a single battlefield before the invention of Radio turning the entire country into a colony for 350 years must top anything that colonial rebels, continental dominators or foreign defenders of home turf.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

I wonder what the maximum number of men Michael Collins commanded in the field against the British whilst they were still enemies ?  :hmm:

I wouldn't be surprised to find it was little more than a strengthened company of 'infantry'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

I guess Guillaume actually counts as British?

And yeah, Michael Collins?  Whatever.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Should be either Rommel or Yamashita.

The one outstanding battlefield defeat of the British during the American Revolution Washington didn't attend.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on April 15, 2012, 05:45:12 PM
I'd like to vote for Gaius Suetonius Paulinus. I'm sorry but wiping out the largest army Britain has ever assembled under a unified command on a single battlefield before the invention of Radio turning the entire country into a colony for 350 years must top anything that colonial rebels, continental dominators or foreign defenders of home turf.
How do we know those numbers are anywhere near accurate?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 15, 2012, 05:59:44 PM

The one outstanding battlefield defeat of the British during the American Revolution Washington didn't attend.

Yorktown doesn't count as a battlefield defeat?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Yes, I'd agree, the first two between them nearly succeeded in cutting the whole empire in two.

Washington along with other commanders in a wider political and economic crisis between motherland and colony/ies. 

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on April 15, 2012, 06:04:53 PM

It was a siege.  The outcome of Yorktown (once Cornwallis had marched there) was decided by the Battle of the Chesapeake.

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Malthus

No love for Willie the Bastard?  :(

Ah, never mind. Damn the fine print!  ;)

QuoteTo qualify, each commander had to come from the 17th century onwards – the period covered by the museum's collection – and had to have led an army in the field against the British, thus excluding political enemies, like Adolf Hitler.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 15, 2012, 06:04:05 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 15, 2012, 05:45:12 PM
How do we know those numbers are anywhere near accurate?

We don't need to know that. With the exception of Townton every single other army ever assembled is at least a full order of magnitude smaller than the Iceni Horde. Even with Townton the largest estimates of the forces of both sides remains smaller than most estimates of the iceni horde.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on April 15, 2012, 06:04:53 PM

Yes, but not to Washington, it was a defeat at the hands of Rochambeau.

Faeelin

I don't get why Washington's role at Yorktown is being discounted. Without Rochambeau it wouldn't have worked, but without Washington's army there wouldn't have been a siege.

Washington realized he didn't have to win decisive battles to win the war; he just had to make it not worth it for the British.

CountDeMoney

I can think of at least two Boers that deserve ranking over Rommel or Attaturk.

But yeah, good for ol' Georgie, who still doesn't get enough nearly enough credit for his generalship.