News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Washington Named Britain's Greatest Foe

Started by Faeelin, April 15, 2012, 05:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I guess William III doesn't count cause he won.  Also I suppose  Maurice de Saxe gets no love.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on April 15, 2012, 06:20:02 PM
I don't get why Washington's role at Yorktown is being discounted. Without Rochambeau it wouldn't have worked, but without Washington's army there wouldn't have been a siege.

I'm confused.  I thought Washington brought some regiments down from the north after Cornwallis had been bottled up by Gates.

PDH

Washington gets no love here.  The man kept an army in the field, and won battles with it, when others wouldn't have been able to.  The Trenton campaign alone is worth his stars.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PDH on April 15, 2012, 07:00:29 PM
Washington gets no love here.  The man kept an army in the field, and won battles with it, when others wouldn't have been able to.  The Trenton campaign alone is worth his stars.

He almost handed the whole army over a couple times during the New York campaign.

CountDeMoney

He does here.  :wub: 

Trenton, and the delaying actions to successfully haul ass out of the New York trap.

Very few generals managed to keep an army in the field for so long against an opponent that tried for years to engage him in one battle that would've ended it all.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 15, 2012, 07:03:15 PM

He almost handed the whole army over a couple times during the New York campaign.

And we almost got tossed back into the sea at Omaha beach. Big fucking deal. Almost only counts in horseshoes.

PDH

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2012, 07:03:38 PM
Trenton, and the delaying actions to successfully haul ass out of the New York trap.

Very few generals managed to keep an army in the field for so long against an opponent that tried for years to engage him in one battle that would've ended it all.

Oh, and FUCK general Lee at Monmouth.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

Washington's greatest fault was trusting subordinates.  They were full of fail.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PDH on April 15, 2012, 07:06:30 PM

Which of his subordinates chose defensive positions backing up on unfordable, unbridged rivers?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on April 15, 2012, 07:05:35 PM
Oh, and FUCK general Lee at Monmouth.

Should've shot that fucker in the field, right on the spot.  Just shows what a true gentleman Washington was.

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 15, 2012, 07:08:33 PM
Quote from: PDH on April 15, 2012, 07:06:30 PM

Which of his subordinates chose defensive positions backing up on unfordable, unbridged rivers?

You are a hater.  He knew he could get out of there.  I do not think the "Miracle of New York" is as big as it is made out to be, Washington understood his opponent and the conditions.  Howe was not about to pursue too vigorously, and Washington felt his position was alright.  He was failed by subordinates who couldn't even hold defensive positions.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on April 15, 2012, 07:11:43 PM
You are a hater. 

Yes, he is.    :P

QuoteI do not think the "Miracle of New York" is as big as it is made out to be,

Hey now, those were Maryland boys.  :(

PDH

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2012, 07:12:53 PM
Hey now, those were Maryland boys.  :(

I blame the subordinates.  Washington did have a big weakness and that was relying on people whom he felt would be alright in the long run - he didn't have that instinct to weed out the chaff.  A well dug in army in the 18th century should have been able to humble an attacker, but too many of the colonial leaders were ready to break and run too fast.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Good generalship isn't just about fighting and winning.  Effective fighting withdrawals are rare and very difficult to pull off.

Of those five:
Nappy
Ataturk
Collins
Rommel
Washington
But they're all very great.
Let's bomb Russia!