George Lucas to give up film-making because of Star Wars critics

Started by Kleves, January 18, 2012, 09:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 20, 2012, 07:26:54 AM
There are dozens of better war movies than Apocalypse Now. The Godfather is *the* mob movie to see if you only see one(though I personally enjoy Pulp Fiction more).
Goodfellas.  :contract:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Kleves on January 20, 2012, 10:15:14 AM
There are dozens of better war movies than Apocalypse Now. The Godfather is *the* mob movie to see if you only see one(though I personally enjoy Pulp Fiction more).
Goodfellas.  :contract: 

Goodfellas was an interesting character in a forgettable story.  The Godfather movies have more than one interesting character and a much more memorable set of stories.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Oh, and Miller's Crossing is the gangster flick to see after you watch the first two Godfather movies.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Quote from: grumbler on January 20, 2012, 10:37:37 AM
Oh, and Miller's Crossing is the gangster flick to see after you watch the first two Godfather movies.

:contract:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

There are dozens of better war movies than Apocalypse Now.

It's probably still my favorite, after all these years.  It's more than just a war movie, though.

QuoteThe Godfather is *the* mob movie to see if you only see one(though I personally enjoy Pulp Fiction more).

Both are excellent, but The Godfather is the gold standard IMO.  Strictly in terms of mob movies, I'd put Reservoir Dogs ahead of Pulp Fiction (which is arguably a better overall movie, just less of a mob movie IMO).
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

The Godfather is the gold standard, as derfoetus states.  It probably has more references in popular culture than any other film short of the Wizard of Oz, Casablanca or Gone With The Wind.

Ideologue

Quote from: grumbler on January 20, 2012, 10:37:37 AM

Miller's Crossing's great.  But then I'm a Coen Bros. fan.

ET: Apocalypse Now or Apocalypse Now Redux?  There aren't a whole lot that I've seen that are better than the latter.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

IIRC the only thing different about redux is that the crew of the SS Minnow runs into the sexy dancer ladies on another stretch of the river where they've been recruited as hoors.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 20, 2012, 07:01:55 PM
IIRC the only thing different about redux is that the crew of the SS Minnow runs into the sexy dancer ladies on another stretch of the river where they've been recruited as hoors.

There are a lot more differences than that.  It's 49 minutes longer.  It's not just 49 minutes of additional rape.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on January 20, 2012, 07:06:34 PM
There are a lot more differences than that.  It's 49 minutes longer.  It's not just 49 minutes of additional rape.

Consensual sex. :contract:

I dunno man, they spend a lot of time with the sexy dancer ladies.

citizen k

There's also alot more screen time for the French colonial crazies.

Neil

Quote from: citizen k on January 20, 2012, 07:12:07 PM
There's also alot more screen time for the French colonial crazies.
Yeah, that's where I think most of that 49 minutes goes.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.