George Lucas to give up film-making because of Star Wars critics

Started by Kleves, January 18, 2012, 09:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 19, 2012, 07:11:44 PM
I didn't get into Star Wars until my late teens, so I vociferously disagree.
Yeah, but your 'late teens' are analogous to most peoples 'childhoods'.  Bambiesque, and whatnot.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on January 19, 2012, 05:02:38 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 19, 2012, 04:00:23 PM
I've never seen any of the Godfather movies, except parts of the first.

:huh:  Really?  You need to do something about that.  The first two are some of the best cinema ever made.

Interestingly, I actually purchased than giant DVD collector's edition they had, but only as a gift for my dad.

Thing is, I'd not been a huge Coppola fan.  I hadn't liked the (original) Apocalypse Now, so I avoided The Godfather films, which seemed likely to be worse--organized crime movies < war movies.  But I really, really liked Redux, and his claret is delightful.  Thus, at some point, you're quite right, I do need to watch at least the first two Godfathers.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

I watched The Godfather 1 and 2 on the same day. I think I had watched that horrible Amelia movie earlier that day. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on January 19, 2012, 08:43:49 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 19, 2012, 07:11:44 PM
I didn't get into Star Wars until my late teens, so I vociferously disagree.
Yeah, but your 'late teens' are analogous to most peoples 'childhoods'.  Bambiesque, and whatnot.

I still don't understand his statement as per my recollection, I'm younger than Tim and when I watched the Star Wars films in my early teens...I was behind the curve as everyone had seen them before.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Perhaps leukemia is more time-consuming than generally thought.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 19, 2012, 11:12:04 PM

I don't really see why he'd use himself as evidence - if that was the reason. He's point of view would be irrelevant, no?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on January 19, 2012, 11:13:27 PM

I don't really see why he'd use himself as evidence - if that was the reason. He's point of view would be irrelevant, no?
I'm saying my opinion is not tainted by childhood nostalgia.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Well, regardless of his unpleasant childhood, in theory Tim would have more experience of fiction in his late teens than a five and six year old, and would therefore be able to judge the Star Wars films from the point of view of a young adult, if perhaps one with a shorter film-watching history than others.  Thus his opinion is germane to a greater or lesser degree.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 19, 2012, 11:18:02 PM

I'm saying my opinion is not tainted by childhood nostalgia.

It is tained by Timness. :mellow:

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on January 19, 2012, 11:19:04 PM

Well, regardless of his unpleasant childhood, in theory Tim would have more experience of fiction in his late teens than a five and six year old, and would therefore be able to judge the Star Wars films from the point of view of a young adult, if perhaps one with a shorter film-watching history than others.  Thus his opinion is germane to a greater or lesser degree.
Wait a minute...  Haven't we already had this discussion?  Doesn't it end with Tim being an asshole because he hates ESB or something like that?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on January 19, 2012, 11:46:48 PM

Wait a minute...  Haven't we already had this discussion?  Doesn't it end with Tim being an asshole because he hates ESB or something like that?

I don't remember that.  But if so, boo.
Kinemalogue

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on January 19, 2012, 08:36:14 PM
The Ewoks weren't any worse than Wookies.

In what sense?  The Ewoks main failing was as a plot device.  There was only one Wookie and he was not a plot device but a supporting character.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

I was already in high school when the original came out and had graduated by the time The Empire Strikes Back was released.  Grumbler is older than I am.  I don't think our opinions are particularly tainted by childhood memories, either.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on January 19, 2012, 09:40:20 PM
Thing is, I'd not been a huge Coppola fan.  I hadn't liked the (original) Apocalypse Now, so I avoided The Godfather films, which seemed likely to be worse--organized crime movies < war movies. 

There are dozens of better war movies than Apocalypse Now. The Godfather is *the* mob movie to see if you only see one(though I personally enjoy Pulp Fiction more).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?