News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best time of year to visit the UK

Started by garbon, January 05, 2012, 01:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Hey kids, I have to take a trip to the UK this year as I've miles that are expiring in November. I'm thinking of hitting up Edinburgh and London. What time of year do you think would be best to visit?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

It's probably a good idea not to go to London during the Olympic Games unless you are specifically interested in that.

mongers

May, June or just before school hols begin.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Probably April-June.  I think that'll avoid Olympic and Jubilee madness, plus you've a chance of nice weather.
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

You don't visit the UK for the weather.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 05, 2012, 01:45:44 PM
You don't visit the UK for the weather.
But it's a bonus.  And I think London's the city that is most improved on a sunny day than an overcast one. 
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 05, 2012, 01:45:44 PM
You don't visit the UK for the weather. climate

If you're visiting the UK it'll most definitely will be for the weather, it's part and parcel of the whole deal; iirc after the olympic Boris Johnson is planning on sustaining the tourist boom with recreated London smog themed on various periods.  :)

alfred russel

Definitely not the winter, but watch out for the Olympics. Check sunrise and sunset times--even though the weather is mild, the UK is very far north, meaning short daylight in the winter but little dark in the summer.

I think the UK is a poor choice for airline miles. The tickets to the UK are very cheap, and depending on the airline the redemption rates can be obnoxious. Flights to eastern europe or south america are generally roughly the same cost in miles but can be twice the cost in cash.  You can usually find a way to extend the miles expiration--for example, if you get a credit card with the airline, any spending usually bumps your expiration date out.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on January 05, 2012, 01:50:28 PM
Definitely not the winter, but watch out for the Olympics. Check sunrise and sunset times--even though the weather is mild, the UK is very far north, meaning short daylight in the winter but little dark in the summer.

We're not that bad, you make us sound like Norway. 

Checks latitude .... 50.85 N

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on January 05, 2012, 01:57:36 PM
We're not that bad, you make us sound like Norway. 

Checks latitude .... 50.85 N
North for a North American though.  We're above Quebec, I think.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

I second April-June, very long days in May/June especially in Edinburgh  :cool:

Edinburgh does have a big arts festival in August though, the city does get very busy and lively during that; so I would avoid it in August but if you like that sort of thing it is an exciting event.

garbon

Children, I have been to the UK before - that's how come I have the miles. :P  Virgin Atlantic and just enough to get to the British Isles. I looked into before about moving the miles to Virgin America but I believe the answer had been no because I acquired them well before they were airline partners.

But yeah my question was because I've always been to the UK in the January-March/November period. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

As an American I was shocked at how long the days got in France in Summer.  That is where it really hits home at how far north Europe is.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Edinburgh is 56N. I love the long days in Scotland near the solstice  :cool:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 05, 2012, 02:09:09 PM
Edinburgh is 56N. I love the long days in Scotland near the solstice  :cool:
I remember playing out until around 10 pm when I lived in Scotland.  Didn't realise it was unusual for it to be light that long.

QuoteAs an American I was shocked at how long the days got in France in Summer.  That is where it really hits home at how far north Europe is.
I was amazed when I read that DC is on the same latitude as Cairo :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!