News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best time of year to visit the UK

Started by garbon, January 05, 2012, 01:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Bumping this as I'm thinking I might make it to the UK in August (still deciding!).  I've a new question that if I plan to hit up Edinburgh and London - what's the best way to transport myself between the two? Air or rail? Thinking I'd spend about 9 days total (minus 1 for travel back to US).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on March 21, 2013, 04:56:56 PM
Bumping this as I'm thinking I might make it to the UK in August (still deciding!).  I've a new question that if I plan to hit up Edinburgh and London - what's the best way to transport myself between the two? Air or rail? Thinking I'd spend about 9 days total (minus 1 for travel back to US).

Road trip !

Yes seriously, if you don't go on the motorways, it's a good way of seeing some of the differences within Britain, cultural and landscape. It's 400+ odd miles, take two days and stop at York, the halfway point.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

I'm not sure if I could handle driving on the wrong side though. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on March 21, 2013, 06:16:55 PM
I'm not sure if I could handle driving on the wrong side though. :D

Then you need to co-op someone like Tricky.  :bowler:

garbon

Also I noticed that car rentals only look particularly cheap if you know how to drive stick. -_-

Admiral Yi

garbon

Well hey, in my life it hasn't been a particularly necessary (or useful) skill.

PDH

Driving a stick on the wrong side is kinda tough to get, it takes a couple of hours to get it.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PDH on March 21, 2013, 07:05:06 PM
Driving a stick on the wrong side is kinda tough to get, it takes a couple of hours to get it.

Actually that sounds like a real horror show now that you mention it.  Are the pedals switched too?

Richard Hakluyt

If you get a rail ticket between London and Edinburgh book it 100 years in advance at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ , don't buy it as you need it as you will (literally) pay 4x as much as you need to.

Caliga

I don't recommend November unless you're into darkness and fog. :bowler:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2013, 07:08:19 PM
Quote from: PDH on March 21, 2013, 07:05:06 PM

Actually that sounds like a real horror show now that you mention it.  Are the pedals switched too?

Yes especially say navigating your way out of North London on a Friday night, I'd pay money to watch that.   :P

Admiral Yi

Yes it's a horror show, yes the pedals are reversed, or both?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2013, 07:16:35 PM
Yes it's a horror show, yes the pedals are reversed, or both?

L to R - clutch, brake, accelerator.

edit:
I got that wrong didn't I, corrected.