News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best time of year to visit the UK

Started by garbon, January 05, 2012, 01:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

I would recommend a Millwall vs. Leeds fixture, for maximum entertainment value and cultural benefit  :cool:

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 21, 2013, 07:47:44 PM
I would recommend a Millwall vs. Leeds fixture, for maximum entertainment value and cultural benefit  :cool:

And that would just be the players setting-to, before the fans got involved.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on March 21, 2013, 07:10:49 PM
I don't recommend November unless you're into darkness and fog. :bowler:

I realized I've only been in London in the November through March portion of the year.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

The days are pretty long in summer, that is a big plus regardless of the vagaries of the weather.

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 21, 2013, 07:10:01 PM
If you get a rail ticket between London and Edinburgh book it 100 years in advance at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ , don't buy it as you need it as you will (literally) pay 4x as much as you need to.

Good to know as general never do that kind of thing in advance.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Also I see 100 years = approximately a few months as they only let you purchase tickets currently through June. :D

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: garbon on March 21, 2013, 07:56:54 PM
Also I see 100 years = approximately a few months as they only let you purchase tickets currently through June. :D

A certain amount of exaggeration on my part  :D

But, do book your tickets in advance if you know where you are going as it will be a hell of a lot cheaper. If you take the train from London to Edinburgh then it will be on the East Coast mainline leaving from London Kings Cross. Both York and Durham are on that line and you can normally break your journey for no additional cost. Both those cities have fantastic cathedrals plus other places of interest, they are well worth visiting.

Admiral Yi

Didn't someone once say that Durham is a chav-infested dump?  :hmm:

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2013, 08:06:58 PM
Didn't someone once say that Durham is a chav-infested dump?  :hmm:

No.

Now if they'd said, half-filled with Oxbridge rejects they'd have been half right.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Brazen

Quote from: garbon on March 21, 2013, 07:55:07 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 21, 2013, 07:10:01 PM
If you get a rail ticket between London and Edinburgh book it 100 years in advance at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ , don't buy it as you need it as you will (literally) pay 4x as much as you need to.

Good to know as general never do that kind of thing in advance.
So you didn't read my article after all  :mad:
http://www.newstatesman.com/business/2013/03/how-getting-low-down-rail-fares-might-make-passengers-worse

There's actually an optimum window for advance booking - they don't release some of the cheapest fares until a two weeks or a month before the travel date.

Brazen

Also beer will be 1p a pint cheaper after the budget :cheers:

garbon

Quote from: Brazen on March 22, 2013, 07:49:34 AM
Also beer will be 1p a pint cheaper after the budget :cheers:

:cheers:

The main thing I remember (surmised?) from your article was that rail fare are a confusing mess. :blush:

garbon

Only took me a couple years but plane tickets finally booked for this August. :cool:

Now I need to start planning my actual itinerary. :blush:

The Larch