Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on November 15, 2011, 09:49:53 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2011, 09:37:21 AM
Quote from: Josephus on November 15, 2011, 09:34:48 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2011, 09:28:17 AM
So now the police raided both Occupy Wall Street and Occupy Oakland. I wonder where the protests will go from here...

Someday perhaps democracy will come to the USA. Just not yet.  :(

I hope that we're never in a place where democracy = shantytowns.

Then don't vote Republican.

Voting Republican seems like it would only encourage these individuals...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

So now the police raided both Occupy Wall Street and Occupy Oakland. I wonder where the protests will go from here...

I think the initial hugs and puppies version of the movement has been replaced by the drug den/wastrel component of society in the hoovervilles themselves.
PDH!

Josephus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 15, 2011, 10:06:51 AM

I think the initial hugs and puppies version of the movement has been replaced by the drug den/wastrel component of society in the hoovervilles themselves.

maybe. So arrest those using drugs.
Apart from restricting peoples' right to peaceful and lawful assembly, it's the way it was done.  One in the morning.  Media blocked off. Police helicopters and according to something I've read it was organized by Homeland Security....like these were Al Qaeda terrorists. It was vaguely reminiscent of Brezhenev era Soviet Union.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

How is preventing people from living in public areas restricting right to peaceful and lawful assembly? How was it either?  Putting a tent in a park is restricting the park's use by anybody else who just wants to go for a walk.
PDH!

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2011, 10:02:05 AM

I'd call reducing the U.S. to a third world hellhole "encouragement," sure.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Bloomberg is sending in the NYPD Winged Hussars.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 09, 2011, 11:33:37 AM
Also, Grumbler, more and more you fall back on the "look at the poster" argument.  Surely the champion of complaining about ad hom arguments can do better than that.

I complain about arguments that employ the ad hominim fallacy.  When an ad hominim is the correct and logical argument, it is not fallacious.  You took the most bizarre possible interpretation oif my statement, and Berkut noted that.  I simply pointed out the truth that you pretty much always post the most bizarre possible interpretations you can think of for anything I say, because you are setting up an attack and what I say is generally too reasonable and logical to attack unless distorted.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on November 15, 2011, 10:15:18 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2011, 10:02:05 AM

I'd call reducing the U.S. to a third world hellhole "encouragement," sure.

Oh get out of here, you partisan hack.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on November 15, 2011, 10:12:41 AM
maybe. So arrest those using drugs.
Apart from restricting peoples' right to peaceful and lawful assembly, it's the way it was done.  One in the morning.  Media blocked off. Police helicopters and according to something I've read it was organized by Homeland Security....like these were Al Qaeda terrorists. It was vaguely reminiscent of Brezhenev era Soviet Union.
Interestingly enough, lawful assembly isn't an excuse to just live wherever you like.

I suppose you would have liked to have given themi the time and opportunity to mount a violent resistance and create some propaganda to stir things up.  That's not how sucessful societies function.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on November 09, 2011, 04:44:03 PM
With that attitude?  He damned well better be packing, or he's going to have people punching him everywhere he goes.

:lol:  My attitude gets me through life just fine - even through life outside my basement.  And when my mom does something I don't like, I have friends that I can discuss it with; I feel no need to go bawl my eyes out in front of a bunch of people whom I don't really know on the internet.

So, Mr Glass-House, watch the stone-throwing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 15, 2011, 10:28:50 AM
Bloomberg is sending in the NYPD Winged Hussars.

It is probably the best outcome for OWS. This was either going to fizzle out during the winter or be crushed by the police.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on November 15, 2011, 10:34:25 AM
Interestingly enough, lawful assembly isn't an excuse to just live wherever you like.

I suppose you would have liked to have given themi the time and opportunity to mount a violent resistance and create some propaganda to stir things up.  That's not how sucessful societies function.

Public hazards also trump lawful assembly.  Philly's talking about moving them out of the plaza outside City Hall since at least one tent went up in flames, and they're saying they've had numerous EMS calls for illnesses related to unsanitary conditions.  Of course, the Occupy people are hemming and hawing because they're being asked to relocate to the plaza outside the police headquarters, even though it actually has more space and is right across the street. :lol:
Experience bij!