Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: fahdiz on November 08, 2011, 03:56:23 PM
I had a dream early this morning that I was with a group Occupying a Taco Bell.

I had an occupying dream too. Can't remember much. Only I was leading a group of school kids to an occupy protest and was determined that this would somehow launch my political career.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

I don't even have a problem with people carrying guns.  But openly carrying them at a political protest is sending a nasty message.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

@Berk, I disagree with your interpretation of what Grumbler was saying.  What you said makes sense.  Unfortunagely Grumbler didnt say that.  What he did say is that allowing people to carry guns is the mark of a tolerant society - the very thing you doubt.

He also added in the bit about allowing people to wear a veil but that was so far removed from the conversation that it was not worth bothering with.

Malthus

People need handguns to defend their right to call locally grown sparking wine "champagne".

WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!  :mad:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 08, 2011, 05:20:51 PM
People need handguns to defend their right to call locally grown sparking wine "champagne".

People who call sparkling wine Champagne need guns because their wits would never get them out of danger.

crazy canuck

Now things are getting absurd.  Confrontations over firefighters putting out "sacred fires" and physical altercations with the protestors.  Note in particular the exuse for not pulling the site down earlier appears to be that these more violent protestors are not the good wholesome types we have before.  I dont know, they look the same to me.

QuoteAn unruly element intent on violence has infiltrated the Occupy Vancouver encampment in downtown Vancouver, according to city police chief, Jim Chu. He warned "legitimate protesters" at the site to leave. Chief Chu's remarks followed an overnight onsite confrontation in which he said police officers were punched, kicked and bitten. Another officer had his ammunition clip stolen, Chief Chu said.

Vancouver police said Tuesday afternoon that they have not recovered the ammunition clip.

"This can no longer stand," he declared Tuesday. "We are issuing a public warning to those who remain on the site. It is time to leave." Despite the incident, Mayor Gregor Robertson told the Globe and Mail that he does not believe in setting a deadline to end the occupation.

"The deadlines and ultimatums have not worked in other places," he said. "They have just helped the resistors to organize. It's just not prudent to fix a deadline at this point. We just will steadily increase the pressure, and look for every opportunity to resolve it at this point."

Still, the mayor acknowledged that the confrontation was a "tense situation" and the first during the Occupy Vancouver protest. He said it highlights why the city is going to court later Tuesday to seek an injunction against the tent city.

Like Mayor Robertson, Chief Chu also gave no timetable for police to move in to end the encampment. He said police would await the outcome of the city's injunction application to have tents cleared from the site.

In the meantime, however, those who stay at the site risk arrest and possible violence from other, less peaceful protesters, Chief Chu said.

Chief Chu noted that the protest began last month with considerable good will and cooperation between occupants and police.

But lately, according to Chief Chu, the site has attracted "an increasing number of problem people who seem intent on breaking the law and fighting with anyone who gets in their way.

"Unfortunately, it now appears that the goodwill and those who espoused it are gone. We have seen the makeup of the protesting group change," Chief Chu told reporters. "We have seen the black masks and others who are intent on violence."

He blamed this group for the trouble late Monday night, when scuffles broke out between protesters, police and firefighters trying to douse a fire burning in a barrel. Protesters said it was a "sacred fire".

"Our officers received the full wrath of the protesters, who punched, kicked and bit them," Chief Chu said. Two officers were sent to hospital "with human bite marks".

He declined to say how police would end the three-and-a-half week occupation, other than to insist the goal of the VPD is end the encampment peacefully.

After the fire was extinguished, a few protesters appeared to be weeping beside some ashes still left on the ground.

From the video, the unruly crowd seemed to number about 50.

The Vancouver Police Department said they would release a report on the confrontation later Tuesday.

Victoria, meanwhile, has joined the city of Vancouver in seeking a court injunction to have tents and other structures removed from their occupation sites.

As in Vancouver, a B.C. Supreme Court hearing will be held on Victoria's application later Tuesday.

In a statement, Victoria said the square beside city hall had to be cleared to make way for upcoming Christmas activities and a public skating rink.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 08, 2011, 05:31:25 PM

People who call sparkling wine Champagne need guns because their wits would never get them out of danger.

And of course, handguns can settle this dispute in the time-honoured manner.

Is there nothing handguns cannot do?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 08, 2011, 05:54:41 PM

Exactly, the idiot who needs the gun pulls it out, gets arrested and his betters get to laugh at him while drinking Champagne.

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on November 08, 2011, 05:54:41 PM

Can't stop tanks.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on November 08, 2011, 08:52:32 PM
Seemed like a decent sort to me.
I have a hard time believing that.

You know, I've been cutting you a lot of slack because of your situation, but if you can't tell asshole hipster trash from human, then you've got serious problems.  Don't let unemployment turn you into an unthinking imbecile.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Ouch.  Well, I was going to add that he seemed a little rainbow brite for my tastes, personally, but :blurgh:

Also, I thought Wags was Viper and Viper must be opposed at all turns.
Kinemalogue

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on November 08, 2011, 09:07:43 PM
Ouch.  Well, I was going to add that he seemed a little rainbow brite for my tastes, personally, but :blurgh:

I also thought he was viper.  How odd.

If you want to become a radical, then do it.  But at least think things through.  Provide me with a detailed and interesting vision for the future.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ideologue on November 08, 2011, 09:07:43 PM

Well Viper and Wagnaard are similar enough to make it an understandable reading error.
PDH!