Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on November 08, 2011, 09:07:43 PM
Ouch.  Well, I was going to add that he seemed a little rainbow brite for my tastes, personally, but :blurgh:

Lesbian.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2011, 01:15:22 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 09, 2011, 12:22:05 AM
I know that personally I would still be looking for work even if I got $10,000 from the government just for existing, even if I could only expect to earn another $15,000 working a menial job; it would at least get me out of the house and interacting with people, and buy little luxuries that I enjoy.  I think most people are like that.  And those that aren't don't exactly contribute a lot anyway.

I suspect you are wrong.

Yeah isn't that what credit cards are for?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on November 08, 2011, 11:11:24 PM
Not really.  The upward march of the normal unemployment rate is basically unstoppable and will almost certainly accelerate. 

It just went down according to the most recent statistical releases . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on November 08, 2011, 05:15:01 PM
That is just a rather bizarre interpretation of what he said.

Look at the poster.  Of course he will not only assume the most bizarre possible interpretation is what I meant, but he will insist, despite the facts, that only the most bizarre interpretation is even feasible.  It's part of his vendetta for getting his ass handed to him any number of times by me, I think.

QuoteSurely you can see that what he said was that carrying around a gun does not make you tolerant, but recognizing that some people DO wish to carry around a gun is tolerant.

Tolerance is all about letting other people do things even when you think there isn't a good reason for it.

Tolerance is also assuming that people are reasonable until evidence demonstrates otherwise.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on November 09, 2011, 11:14:01 AM
Tolerance is also assuming that people are reasonable until evidence demonstrates otherwise.  :P

I'd call that foolishness.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on November 09, 2011, 11:14:01 AM
Quote from: Berkut on November 08, 2011, 05:15:01 PM
That is just a rather bizarre interpretation of what he said.

Look at the poster.  Of course he will not only assume the most bizarre possible interpretation is what I meant, but he will insist, despite the facts, that only the most bizarre interpretation is even feasible.  It's part of his vendetta for getting his ass handed to him any number of times by me, I think.

QuoteSurely you can see that what he said was that carrying around a gun does not make you tolerant, but recognizing that some people DO wish to carry around a gun is tolerant.

Tolerance is all about letting other people do things even when you think there isn't a good reason for it.

It does not surprise me at all that both of you are intrepreting what I said in a rather bizarre way.  I also understand why you would want to distance yourself from the comment that the mark of a tolerant society is allowing people to carry guns.

Also, Grumbler, more and more you fall back on the "look at the poster" argument.  Surely the champion of complaining about ad hom arguments can do better than that.

Razgovory

Well he did call you "ContraryCunt" last week...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Razgovory

With that attitude?  He damned well better be packing, or he's going to have people punching him everywhere he goes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on November 09, 2011, 04:44:03 PM
With that attitude?  He damned well better be packing, or he's going to have people punching him everywhere he goes.
:face:

Admiral Yi

Just read an article in Time about Van Jones, the black Marxist who used to work for Obama, Moveon and some other lefty organizations joining up with Occupy.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2011, 09:43:55 PM
Just read an article in Time about Van Jones, the black Marxist who used to work for Obama, Moveon and some other lefty organizations joining up with Occupy.

The guy that Conservatives harped on for a year, and nobody else ever heard of or cared?  Was he actually a Marxist?