Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Great. We've gone from adding British royalty to the armed forces, to transexual French royalty.   :D

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2011, 12:18:38 PM
Great. We've gone from adding British royalty to the armed forces, to transexual French royalty.   :D

Canadian Royalty! :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on August 25, 2011, 12:16:44 PM
Sure, and if King Louis XVI had had a vagina instead of a penis, he would have been Queen Louisa.  So what?

Huh?  I stated my point already.  Saying things like 'Well if France had won the Seven Years War it all would have made no difference because once the Revolution happens..'

Well that is a pretty big departure to just assume everything would have gone the same way.  Even something far less significant like the personal failings of Louis might have had it go far differently.  That is why Alt His does not really work for  me, my suspension of disbelief is hard to get out of the way.  Did I not just say this exact same thing?  Why are you asking 'So what?'?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 12:24:54 PM

Canadian Royalty! :mad:

Okay, transexual Canadian royalty, if you insist.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 12:35:38 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 25, 2011, 12:28:51 PM
transexual French royalty.

No need to be redundant.

Hey!  Louis XIV looked macho in his silk stockings.

And six-inch heels. And wigs. And makeup. And ... oh wait.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Viking on August 25, 2011, 09:43:30 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 25, 2011, 09:21:08 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 09:13:15 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 08:57:04 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 08:51:49 AM
I dunno?  Do the English do such things?  Do the Germans?  Do they feel so strongly about their culture that someone displaying another cultural artifact is "Deeply offensive" to them?

Yes nobody else in the entire world is offended by anything.  Only French speakers ever get offended.

Anyway they banned it as a religious symbol not a cultural one.  They see it as a breach of the separation of church and state.  Like some Americans find nativity scenes on public grounds offensive.

The headscarf is more cultural then religious.  Some Muslims do not wear it.  I ask again, did the Germans or the English ban this?  I believe in Britain Welsh is an official language.  Does France have multiple official languages like the UK.  Is Breton protected?  Must signs in Southern France have Occitan "more predominate"?

Why don't you google or wiki for these answers? I dont get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_policy_in_France

BTW, if French language policy were applied to Canada then there would be no French signage outside of Quebec and English would have to be fully accepted in Quebec as well. The Quebeckers have it way too good.

Your wikipedia article mentions bilingual signage in Brittany. I've seen Occitan street names as well in Toulouse.
It also mentions this article from the French constitution:
« Les langues régionales appartiennent au patrimoine de la France
— Article 75-1

cf. A revision of the French constitution creating official recognition of regional languages was implemented by the Parliament in Congress at Versailles in July 2008.[2

Jacobinism Third Republic style is passé now.

Valmy

Yeah I had a big write up about the bilingual street signs in Occitanville and the protection for minority languages,  but I decided the whole conversation was getting ridiculous.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 12:57:00 PM
Yeah I had a big write up about the bilingual street signs in Occitanville and so forth but I decided the whole conversation was getting ridiculous.

Languish is DIEING!!!11one

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 25, 2011, 10:08:34 AM
Can you guys stop comparing us to France, damn it. Fucking Anglos.
the quebecers are comparing us the the US. fair is fair :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 12:57:00 PM
Yeah I had a big write up about the bilingual street signs in Occitanville and the protection for minority languages,  but I decided the whole conversation was getting ridiculous.

Since when has that stopped any Languishite?  :contract:

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2011, 01:18:31 PM

In this particular case it was Barrister Boy instructing us to stop responding to Raz.  I thought responding to him after that would make me look bad.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 01:21:01 PM

In this particular case it was Barrister Boy instructing us to stop responding to Raz.  I thought responding to him after that would make me look bad.

Since when has that ever stopped any Languishite?

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 01:21:01 PM

Stop.

Hold on.

Let me get this straight:

Someone on languish actually listened to what I said?

*thud*
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.