Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 25, 2011, 03:53:43 PM
I thought the point was validating some vague, misguided form of essentialism of French culture on your part.

Clarify your statement.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 25, 2011, 03:49:49 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 03:46:57 PM
A euphemism for having fun playing a centuries old scottish game involving 40lb granite rocks? :scots:

Valmy and Marti may be getting excited now.

Huh?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 03:36:36 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 09:24:52 AM
I wouldn't bother responding to Raz in this thread.

:(  I think these are legitimate questions.

Well...I will think about it.

But I guess when BB posted that it did start to look like you were just attacking France and trying to spin everything as negatively as you possibly could in an attempt to get a rise out of me.  I am not particularly interested in having that conversation where you take something, state it in the most negative spin you can, and then make me disprove your spin.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 04:25:02 PM
I am not particularly interested in having that conversation where you take something, state it in the most negative spin you can, and then make me disprove your spin.
You aren't leaving him any out, you know.  That is his entire sctick.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 04:17:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 25, 2011, 03:49:49 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 03:46:57 PM
A euphemism for having fun playing a centuries old scottish game involving 40lb granite rocks? :scots:

Valmy and Marti may be getting excited now.

Huh?

Different reasons.  You probably would be excited about curling in the way BB intended it to be understood.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 04:25:02 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 03:36:36 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 09:24:52 AM
I wouldn't bother responding to Raz in this thread.

:(  I think these are legitimate questions.

Well...I will think about it.

But I guess when BB posted that it did start to look like you were just attacking France and trying to spin everything as negatively as you possibly could in an attempt to get a rise out of me.  I am not particularly interested in having that conversation where you take something, state it in the most negative spin you can, and then make me disprove your spin.

I use France as an example because it's the only other Francophone country I know much about.  I guess I could bring up some African countries, but I really don't know much about them.  I see similarities between the way Quebec and France view language and culture.  You are correct that many countries in Europe had a similar mindset, but most of them outgrew it.  The Germans don't go on about "Kultur", anymore.  And the anglophones in Canada have allowed French to be at an equal status to English.  The Francophones do not seem interested in reciprocating.  French must be put in superior status to any other language.  Compare Anglophones in Canada and Britain to Francophones in Quebec and France in respect to a minority language.:  In Britain: Welsh is an official language, in Canada French is an official language.  In France, only French is an official language and in Quebec French must be more predominant.  This suggests to me that the way anglophones and francophones view language is and culture different and gives some insight as to why Francophones seemed so outraged by things like painting being taken down or the renaming military units, or the wearing of veils and headscarf which seem so petty to an anglophone.  Or at least to me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

Quebec doesn't really have a good analog.  France itself has history and culture, and a sense of being masters in their own house.  On the other hand, the former French colonies are all extremely poor and barbaric.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 11:06:00 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 10:45:24 AM
I don't know about that part either, but your snipped out the most important part - it all would have gone to hell in a handbasket 50 years later when the Revolution and Nappy happened.

Are we sure a French victory in the Seven Years War scenario would have resulted in everything else happening exactly the same though?  This is why alt history fails for me.

I don't see even Sam Adams managing to muster up anything more than mild snarkyness at the British with a French Army at Quebec. So... a French victory in 7YW is likely to prevent any disagreements in the colonies to revolt imh.alt.hist.o
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

A French victory in the seven years war wouldn't necessarily mean that they retain Quebec.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on August 25, 2011, 06:48:14 PM
A French victory in the seven years war wouldn't necessarily mean that they retain Quebec.

Well, the British would have to hand Quebec back if the Hannoverians want Hannover back.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on August 25, 2011, 06:54:24 PM
Well, the British would have to hand Quebec back if the Hannoverians want Hannover back.
Assuming the French are in the mood to hand it back to an inevitably hostile Britain at all.  French territorial ambitions in Germany were quite extensive.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on August 25, 2011, 07:05:48 PM
Assuming the French are in the mood to hand it back to an inevitably hostile Britain at all.  French territorial ambitions in Germany were quite extensive.

meh... Hannover was a millstone around the Imperial Ambitions of Britain. You can't run an international trading empire if any upstart tinpot european landlocked with a small but competent army can conquer and torch the hometown of the king of Britain, holding it hostage. The Salic Law inheritance of Hannover was the true foundation of the British Empire.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on August 25, 2011, 07:34:07 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 25, 2011, 07:05:48 PM
meh... Hannover was a millstone around the Imperial Ambitions of Britain. You can't run an international trading empire if any upstart tinpot european landlocked with a small but competent army can conquer and torch the hometown of the king of Britain, holding it hostage. The Salic Law inheritance of Hannover was the true foundation of the British Empire.
Well, I think that Lord Clive had a little more to do with it, but I agree that Britain benefited from disentangling the monarch from Germany.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on August 25, 2011, 05:31:36 PM
Quebec doesn't really have a good analog.  France itself has history and culture, and a sense of being masters in their own house.  On the other hand, the former French colonies are all extremely poor and barbaric.

I'm trying to find an explanation for this bizarre behavior.  I"m doing the best I can.

dps

The best explanation that I can see is that many French-speaking Canadians are still in denial about the Plains of Abraham, much as many Americans in the south are still in denial about Appamattox.  With the big caveat that while I (unfortunately) get to view the latter close up,  I only glimse the former from a distance.