Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 01:21:01 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2011, 01:18:31 PM
Since when has that stopped any Languishite?  :contract:

In this particular case it was Barrister Boy instructing us to stop responding to Raz.  I thought responding to him after that would make me look bad.

Your posts tend to make you look bad, whether you're responding to Raz or someone else.    :)

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 01:52:34 PM

In this particular case it was Barrister Boy instructing us to stop responding to Raz.  I thought responding to him after that would make me look bad.

Stop.

Hold on.

Let me get this straight:

Someone on languish actually listened to what I said?

*thud*
Every once in a while people make mistakes. Can't always hold it against them :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on August 25, 2011, 01:57:20 PM
Your posts tend to make you look bad, whether you're responding to Raz or someone else.    :)

So why make a bad situation worse?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Stop.

Hold on.

*thud*

Hey, I listen all the time.

How else would I know what to make fun of next?  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Stop.

Hold on.

*thud*

Are you kidding?  You are my Languish SuperEgo.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 02:22:59 PM
Stop.

Hold on.

*thud*

:blush:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Stop.

Hold on.

*thud*

Well, thank goodness he isn't your Languish Id.

An overpowering urge to play curling is a terrible affliction for a Texan.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2011, 03:12:26 PM
Stop.

Hold on.

*thud*

:ultra:

You don't "play curling".

You curl.

And it's a noble sport, no matter where you live.  Why - there's even a curling club in Austin!

http://www.lonestarcurlingclub.org/

:scots:

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 12:25:45 PM
Huh?  I stated my point already.  Saying things like 'Well if France had won the Seven Years War it all would have made no difference because once the Revolution happens..'

Well that is a pretty big departure to just assume everything would have gone the same way.  Even something far less significant like the personal failings of Louis might have had it go far differently.  That is why Alt His does not really work for  me, my suspension of disbelief is hard to get out of the way.  Did I not just say this exact same thing?  Why are you asking 'So what?'?
One can make an interesting speculation about a change in a historical event; one cannot make an interesting speculation based on "well, if people had been different..." because it was possible for France to have won the Seven Years' War; it wasn't possible for the King of France in 1789 to have been a different person with the same name.

I agree with you that suspension of disbelief is impossible in the case of a different Louis XVI, but disagree in the case of a French victory of some type in the SYW; we can postulate with some knowledge as to how the latter could have come about; the former is fantasy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 09:24:52 AM
I wouldn't bother responding to Raz in this thread.

:(  I think these are legitimate questions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 03:28:21 PM
Stop.

Hold on.

*thud*

You curl.

And it's a noble sport, no matter where you live.  Why - there's even a curling club in Austin!

Telling a Texan that he may have "an urge to curl" can be misconstrued as some sort of euphemism.  :D

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2011, 03:43:25 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 03:28:21 PM
Stop.

Hold on.

*thud*

You curl.

Telling a Texan that he may have "an urge to curl" can be misconstrued as some sort of euphemism.  :D

A euphemism for having fun playing a centuries old scottish game involving 40lb granite rocks? :scots:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 03:46:57 PM
A euphemism for having fun playing a centuries old scottish game involving 40lb granite rocks? :scots:

Valmy and Marti may be getting excited now.

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on August 25, 2011, 09:21:08 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 09:13:15 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 08:57:04 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 08:51:49 AM
I dunno?  Do the English do such things?  Do the Germans?  Do they feel so strongly about their culture that someone displaying another cultural artifact is "Deeply offensive" to them?

Yes nobody else in the entire world is offended by anything.  Only French speakers ever get offended.

Anyway they banned it as a religious symbol not a cultural one.  They see it as a breach of the separation of church and state.  Like some Americans find nativity scenes on public grounds offensive.

The headscarf is more cultural then religious.  Some Muslims do not wear it.  I ask again, did the Germans or the English ban this?  I believe in Britain Welsh is an official language.  Does France have multiple official languages like the UK.  Is Breton protected?  Must signs in Southern France have Occitan "more predominate"?

Why don't you google or wiki for these answers? I dont get it.

The point was to get Valmy to admit they are not.  The article that Viking posted blatantly says what I was claiming, that France sees itself fighting the English language.  The bitching and moaning about English and the need to for French to predominate is rooted in French culture, which is why I brought France into this.

QuoteFrance presents itself as a big country struggling for cultural diversity against the predominance of English in international affairs. According to French republican ideology (see also Laïcité), all citizens are equal and therefore no groups may exercise extra rights; this is an idea stemming from the French Revolution, contrasting with the previous situation in which many groups had special rights and privileges.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Oexmelin

I thought the point was validating some vague, misguided form of essentialism of French culture on your part.
Que le grand cric me croque !