Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 08:57:04 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 08:51:49 AM
I dunno?  Do the English do such things?  Do the Germans?  Do they feel so strongly about their culture that someone displaying another cultural artifact is "Deeply offensive" to them?

Yes nobody else in the entire world is offended by anything.  Only French speakers ever get offended.

Anyway they banned it as a religious symbol not a cultural one.  They see it as a breach of the separation of church and state.  Like some Americans find nativity scenes on public grounds offensive.

The headscarf is more cultural then religious.  Some Muslims do not wear it.  I ask again, did the Germans or the English ban this?  I believe in Britain Welsh is an official language.  Does France have multiple official languages like the UK.  Is Breton protected?  Must signs in Southern France have Occitan "more predominate"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 09:13:15 AM
I dunno?  Do the English do such things?  Do the Germans?  Do they feel so strongly about their culture that someone displaying another cultural artifact is "Deeply offensive" to them?

Yes nobody else in the entire world is offended by anything.  Only French speakers ever get offended.

Anyway they banned it as a religious symbol not a cultural one.  They see it as a breach of the separation of church and state.  Like some Americans find nativity scenes on public grounds offensive.

The headscarf is more cultural then religious.  Some Muslims do not wear it.  I ask again, did the Germans or the English ban this?  I believe in Britain Welsh is an official language.  Does France have multiple official languages like the UK.  Is Breton protected?  Must signs in Southern France have Occitan "more predominate"?

Why don't you google or wiki for these answers? I dont get it.

Barrister

I wouldn't bother responding to Raz in this thread.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 09:24:52 AM

But...he is going after my peoples! :weep:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zoupa on August 25, 2011, 08:45:07 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 18, 2011, 08:33:38 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2011, 08:27:45 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 18, 2011, 08:19:50 AM
only in so far as it ties in with a proud past.

The Kingdom of Portugal?
:p

If you want to, ya. longest alliance still in  existance, IIRC

I thought that was the Auld Alliance. Omni modo fidelis and all that.

Null and void since the Act of Union as I understand it.

Viking

Quote from: Zoupa on August 25, 2011, 09:21:08 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 09:13:15 AM

Why don't you google or wiki for these answers? I dont get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_policy_in_France

BTW, if French language policy were applied to Canada then there would be no French signage outside of Quebec and English would have to be fully accepted in Quebec as well. The Quebeckers have it way too good.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 25, 2011, 09:41:32 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 25, 2011, 08:45:07 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 18, 2011, 08:33:38 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2011, 08:27:45 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 18, 2011, 08:19:50 AM
only in so far as it ties in with a proud past.

The Kingdom of Portugal?
:p

If you want to, ya. longest alliance still in  existance, IIRC

I thought that was the Auld Alliance. Omni modo fidelis and all that.

Null and void since the Act of Union as I understand it.

Probably since James' accession to the Englsh throne.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 09:27:03 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 09:24:52 AM

But...he is going after my peoples! :weep:
your people are texans you damn dirty francophile! :ultra: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on August 25, 2011, 09:43:30 AM
BTW, if French language policy were applied to Canada then there would be no French signage outside of Quebec and English would have to be fully accepted in Quebec as well. The Quebeckers have it way too good.

Yeah they are not in Europe (or Asia or Africa for that matter) with all its ethnic conflicts and long history of violence.  They are in a North American country where we do not tend to see those sorts of things as threats (and frankly given what usually happens when you have a people speaking a minority language I don't blame them).  Which is why alot of us came here in the first place.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

It's funny, because viper's list of greivances are all a hundred years or more old, aside from the newer, completely made-up ones.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on August 25, 2011, 09:45:44 AM
your people are texans you damn dirty francophile! :ultra: :P

There are six flags in Texas...and one of them is French :yeah:

Granted it is the wrong one but still.

Grey Fox

Can you guys stop comparing us to France, damn it. Fucking Anglos.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 25, 2011, 10:08:34 AM

Yeah, the great culture, amazing artwork, leadership in intellectual matters and fashion ... none applies.  :P

But you will always have Celine Dion.  :console:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

It is just Raz.  He represents only Missourians who live in basements.

Viking

Because that is the alternative.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.