Main Menu

Kerbal Space Program

Started by Ed Anger, July 14, 2011, 08:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Jebidiah exists on pure awesomeness.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I achieved Orbit!  It was a highly eccentric orbit, but it was stable.  Unfortunately my effort to achieve reentry failed and my guys just spun off into space and are now orbiting the Sun. :(  I didn't know you could fail at falling down.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I achieved a much less eccentric orbit (though there was still 100,000 KM between the high point and low point), and this time was able to make it back to Kerbin safely after orbiting for nearly four hours.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2011, 04:47:32 PM
I achieved Orbit!  It was a highly eccentric orbit, but it was stable.  Unfortunately my effort to achieve reentry failed and my guys just spun off into space and are now orbiting the Sun. :(  I didn't know you could fail at falling down.
At a shallow angle, a small object can bounce off the atmosphere.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Yeah, I don't really know much about space. I think my problem the first time was I achieve too high an altitude, (which also wasted most of my fuel), and when I went for reentry I burned into my orbit rather then away from it.  So while I was going down I was also moving faster turning my orbit into a parabola. I'm actually learning things from this game, which is always neat.  The new map feature and time warp make the game much better.  You have a much better idea what you are doing and speeding things up is essential when dealing with space.  Cause space is big and a take a long time do shit up there.

Alcibiades

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=52HDyqAT0f8

Moon landing and return from a guy on another forum I frequent.  Does a pretty good job with explanations and stuff, too.

Thought some of you may enjoy this, all stock parts.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

sbr

Cool.  I never got the game but that is a neat video.

Alcibiades

It's free, I haven't played it in months, though.  Just ran across this and thought some here may still play it.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

sbr

When I said I didn't get it, I meant I didn't like it.  :)

Razgovory

I liked the fact that I actually learned some things about real rocketry and orbits.  Before I really didn't know what you had to do to attain an orbit of a planet.  Never really thought about it.

grumbler

Quote from: Alcibiades on January 21, 2012, 12:39:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=52HDyqAT0f8

Moon landing and return from a guy on another forum I frequent.  Does a pretty good job with explanations and stuff, too.

Thought some of you may enjoy this, all stock parts.
I enjoyed that.  I didn't have the patience for the game, but it is great to see what people do when they do have the patience.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

I have being playing the demo for this thing.

Can't seem to achieve a stable Kerbin Orbit but I have no trouble escaping to a sun orbit tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 18, 2013, 09:29:17 PM

Can't seem to achieve a stable Kerbin Orbit but I have no trouble escaping to a sun orbit tho.

Are you just going up?  Once you get past the atmosphere you need to start accelerating horizontally to the planet.  You need both your Periapsis and Apsis to be above be above the atmosphere.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2013, 10:20:25 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 18, 2013, 09:29:17 PM

Are you just going up?  Once you get past the atmosphere you need to start accelerating horizontally to the planet.  You need both your Periapsis and Apsis to be above be above the atmosphere.

Oh. I really need to look at some tutorials.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

frunk

I just revisited KSP after being away for a long time and it's come a long way.  Multiple planets you can visit, a career mode (including hiring new Kerbals when old ones "mysteriously wander off"), significantly better graphics and the orbit map that makes achieving orbit and things like visiting the Mun much easier.

The tutorials are also very good at showing you how to maintain and adjust your orbit.  It's $22 now if you haven't bought it yet, although there was just a 40% off sale on Steam.