News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Kerbal Space Program

Started by Ed Anger, July 14, 2011, 08:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I'm at 2,300 km and climbing.  My velocity is dropping, but it's going to be hours before I reenter.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I found that putting the capsule underneath the rockets is not optimal.  I like watching each individual rocket go it's own way.  Like a flight of ICBMs.  I wonder what the wings do.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Here are the mods so far:

http://mod.gib.me/kerbal/mods/

Just plop them into the parts directory.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Alright, so I topped out at 2,435 km after 55 minutes of flight time.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I made it into orbit!  Unfortunately I accidentally deleted my craft. :(  I was at like 3,000 Kms  Game needs to keep records of your accomplishments.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

I achieved escape velocity.  I left the game on while I slept and I was over 77,837km in altitude.  The Earth was only a little spec. 3,537 meters per second was my top speed, but it it leveled out 2,955 meters per second.  Since I was out of fuel, I don't think my little kerbal guys are going to make it back.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm guessing that little splotch in the background is earth (or whatever planet these little guys come from).  Note I took the screen shot shortly after I began writing this post.  So the numbers are a little different the my initial post.

All in all, this is a little fun game.  The designers are planning to put other stuff in like space stations and lunar and planetary colonies.  Sounds like fun.

Ed Anger

Jebediah is happy at least.

I like what they called this game at SA. Werner Von Braun's blooper reel.

Razgovory

Notice that the escape velocity on Kerbal Earth and real Earth are quite different.  Escape velocity requires over 7 km/s and I didn't reach near that fast .  Their planet must be smaller or something.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on July 16, 2011, 11:24:46 AM
Notice that the escape velocity on Kerbal Earth and real Earth are quite different.  Escape velocity requires over 7 km/s and I didn't reach near that fast .  Their planet must be smaller or something.
Much smaller.  I've pulled a few quick missions to the dark side of the planet, and I think it's less than a thousand km in diameter.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on July 16, 2011, 01:21:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 16, 2011, 11:24:46 AM
Much smaller.  I've pulled a few quick missions to the dark side of the planet, and I think it's less than a thousand km in diameter.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/index.php?title=Kearth#Kerbal.2C_Kearth

So it's smaller then Mercury but has the gravity of Earth.  Maybe it's made of iridium or something.

Barrister

Isn't the point of the game to acheive orbit, rather than to escape the planet completely?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

I play to see how I can make jebediah panic before the rocket he is riding explodes.

Josquius

That is a fun little game.

No explosions yet. Just succesful launches to high altitudes and parachutes to ground.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on July 16, 2011, 02:43:02 PM
Isn't the point of the game to acheive orbit, rather than to escape the planet completely?

Well, so far there really isn't a point.  It's just a sandbox.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 16, 2011, 05:47:01 PM
I play to see how I can make jebediah panic before the rocket he is riding explodes.

Jebediah Kerman: Hero of Kerbal