News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Kerbal Space Program

Started by Ed Anger, July 14, 2011, 08:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Yeah, mods seem to take out all the fun.

I discovered that you can attach a rocket to the top of the command module and it won't cook the astronauts. I'm sure some devious fun can be had with this. :menace:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

HisMajestyBOB

How can a design that works almost perfectly the first launch spin wildly out of country on all subsequent launches, without any changes to the design? :frusty:

frunk

One trick is after moving any pieces into different stages from where they are auto-assigned make sure the design is saved.  Otherwise it'll "lose" those changes at inconvenient moments.

Razgovory

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 11, 2011, 11:16:05 AM
How can a design that works almost perfectly the first launch spin wildly out of country on all subsequent launches, without any changes to the design? :frusty:

I do not know.  The game doesn't give you a lot of feedback on things.  Perhaps the weather is different or something.

Actually one of the things I hope they put in is something to tell you the weight of your craft and how much thrust your engines are putting out.  How much Gravity is pulling on you would be nice as well.  Sometimes my crew is experiencing quite a bit G.  Like 60Gs at lift off.  I think that would be enough to kill a human being.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2011, 02:33:11 PM

I do not know.  The game doesn't give you a lot of feedback on things.  Perhaps the weather is different or something.

Actually one of the things I hope they put in is something to tell you the weight of your craft and how much thrust your engines are putting out.  How much Gravity is pulling on you would be nice as well.  Sometimes my crew is experiencing quite a bit G.  Like 60Gs at lift off.  I think that would be enough to kill a human being.

I found this program where you can put in the various modules of your rocket and it will tell you the weight and delta V, among other things.
http://www.kerbalspacerepository.com/2011/07/20/187/

It won't tell you if it's unbalanced, though. That would be a really handy feature in-game, as well as a way to automatically make all my decoupling struts and solid rockets even with each other. I suspect that's one reason why some of my rockets start leaning too much in one direction.

Neil

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 11, 2011, 04:35:28 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2011, 02:33:11 PM

I found this program where you can put in the various modules of your rocket and it will tell you the weight and delta V, among other things.
http://www.kerbalspacerepository.com/2011/07/20/187/

It won't tell you if it's unbalanced, though. That would be a really handy feature in-game, as well as a way to automatically make all my decoupling struts and solid rockets even with each other. I suspect that's one reason why some of my rockets start leaning too much in one direction.
There's a small circle at the top of the screen.  If you right-click on it, it'll allow you to make multiple, concentric add-ons.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Fireblade

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 21, 2011, 05:46:45 PM
EDIT: Another design, based on the first but with 3 rockets per separator instead of 1, went up before becoming unstable and flying apart. One test had the command capsule intact, but the parachute had been blown off by the explosion. The astronauts had to ponder their fate in free-fall.

RIP Christa McAuliffe :(

Downloading. :lol:

frunk

Version 0.9 is out.  It's not significantly different, except the stage management is much easier and less buggy.

I've also gotten to 200 km straight up in just a shade under 3 minutes. 

Grinning_Colossus

[Edit: silly statement removed. It's a good game even after you get the hang of it.]
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

frunk

0.12 has added the Mun!  I haven't landed (or crashed) on it yet.

Josquius

But it is possible to get to the moon?
Wonder where they're going with this, keeping it crazy and sandboxy or adding in some sort of management behind running the space programme or what?
I've not played it for ages, might give it another download when I get home.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I saw some of the new stuff.  Useful stuff like a thing to speed up the time and something that shows your orbit trajectory.  Nifty.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tyr on November 15, 2011, 01:10:20 AM
But it is possible to get to the moon?
Wonder where they're going with this, keeping it crazy and sandboxy or adding in some sort of management behind running the space programme or what?
I've not played it for ages, might give it another download when I get home.
you can land on it

Razgovory

I downloaded the new version and played around with it.  I went around Kerbin, though I wouldn't really call it an orbit.  I swung around it and spiraled off into space with no fuel left.  After a while I did seem to achieve an orbit around the sun though.  I hope Jeb doesn't eat or breath to much.

Razgovory

Also I found this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrThKiUZoiw  Anyone know the music that was used for this?