Consumer choices, socio-political consciousness and you

Started by Martinus, May 29, 2011, 04:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Weird.  I met plenty of East Asian women in podunk Missouri.  Also a few South Asian.  And I rarely go outside.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jamesww

Quote from: Razgovory on May 31, 2011, 05:11:41 PM
Weird.  I met plenty of East Asian women in podunk Missouri.  Also a few South Asian.  And I rarely go outside.

What your basement and CdM's dungeon have an interconnecting tunnel ? :unsure:

Caliga

Actually, now that spiess mentions it, there are a very small number of (East) Asians here.  We have far more South Asians than East Asians.  I have however talked to many Asian women, dated one, and had an Asian female employee. :)  All of that was in Pennsylvania and Massachusetts, though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

I remember when we got our big wave of Vietnamese. I was a sophomore in High school ('87) and they dumped a bunch of Vietnamese in the high school. With very little speakee of English. They tended to sleep in class.

Fairborn High School. What a fucking dump. What fucking dump of a town.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I had a Vietnamese friend in high school.  His name was Nguyen. :)

Ed Anger

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on May 31, 2011, 05:38:57 PM
I had a Vietnamese friend in high school.  His name was Nguyen. :)

I had a Vietnamese friend in college. Her name was Nguyen, although she changed it to Lin when she became a citizen. She also stopped talking to me after she joined an Asian sorority. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

@Ed I know. :lol:  But his full name was Nguyen Van Tring or something.  We called him Chris Nguyen though.  His dad had been an ARVN colonel or something and they were boat people.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 31, 2011, 05:37:31 PM
Fairborn High School. What a fucking dump. What fucking dump of a town.

I'm sure mine was worse.  Barboursville, WV :bleeding:

It would've gotten really interesting if we'd had a sudden influx of Vietnamese students, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Oh, right next to Huntington, eh? :x

I'll be driving through there again next month, and will try once again to visit Jim's Spaghetti and Steak, which apparently is the most famous landmark in the city. :hmm:

Ed Anger

I think they resettled some refugees in the cheap ass apartment complex in town.  The same complex where they used to hand out government cheese.

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 31, 2011, 05:47:04 PM
I think they resettled some refugees in the cheap ass apartment complex in town.  The same complex where they used to hand out government cheese.
We have a lot of Cuban exiles here for some reason.  One even worked for me for a few months till he got fired for repeatedly hitting on chicks.

Cubans seem to have a lot of weird names, too... his was Luchi and I had a Vladimir and a Jorgensen or something that I met too.  It's like Fidel uses a random name generator to assign names.

Ed Anger

I've noticed a Slavic influx in the Dayton Area recently. Seen my first Slav guy with open shirt, wifebeater and gold chain. And a Merc.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on May 31, 2011, 05:47:03 PM
Oh, right next to Huntington, eh? :x

Yeah.  Mind you, I didn't live *in* Barboursville-- I just went to Jr. High & High School & played little league sports there.

QuoteI'll be driving through there again next month, and will try once again to visit Jim's Spaghetti and Steak, which apparently is the most famous landmark in the city. :hmm:

I'll repeat my warning from last time.  The yokels may love the spaghetti and talk it up, but it's awful.  The only decent local places IMO in Huntington are Chili Willi's (they moved locations but the chili is still awesome) and Monty's Pizza (an absolute dump but surprisingly good pizza).  There are also strangely a lot of hotdog places if you're into that.  People seem to like the Hillbilly Hotdog joint.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall