Consumer choices, socio-political consciousness and you

Started by Martinus, May 29, 2011, 04:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

I buy only based on taste, calories, and price.

I do buy a lot of tea from a local tea store, but that's partly expedience (don't have to wait for something bought online to ship) and good quality, not just "buying local".
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

dps

I don't worry about politically correct crap like that.  OTOH, I wouldn't say I buy only based on price and quality.  I tend not to go back to places where I've found I have unpleasant shopping experiences, for example.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 29, 2011, 08:10:22 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 29, 2011, 06:36:21 AM
I buy free range eggs (and chicken),

Like Dennis Miller once said:  if it winds up on your plate, exactly how free was the range?

If it's just the eggs, there's conceivably a chain of events that didn't cause harm to the chicken.  How actually likely is it that no harm came to the chicken?  Not very.

I would probably prefer not buy products from the PRChinese.  However, this would be such an unsustainable and useless one-man damnbargo that it's not really worth pursuing.

Of course, however, as you folks know, I'm a lacto-vegetarian (and crustaceans don't count).  So obviously I try to avoid products with dead animals in them, like hamburgers or Lee-Enfield rifle cartridges from the mid-19th century.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: dps on May 29, 2011, 02:13:17 PM
I don't worry about politically correct crap like that.  OTOH, I wouldn't say I buy only based on price and quality.  I tend not to go back to places where I've found I have unpleasant shopping experiences, for example.

Fair point, but I would count it as a part of "quality" too. Same with "distance to the shop" etc. - anything that is a part of a "commercial trade-off". On the other hand, if you refused to go to a distant shop because of the carbon footprint issues, that would be among my criteria.

Ed Anger

Quotecount it as a part of "quality" too.

I don't buy Chinese made tools. I'm not going to trust my life to a Chinese made chain.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Did some 'recycling' today; took a 10 mile coach journey, walked 1.5 miles, bought a 2nd hand bike for $50, cycled it 18-19 miles home, tomorrow I scrap if for the wheels, drive train and a few other things.

I guess it worked out cheaper than buying new, but mainly it was quickest way to get the other bike back on the road. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

If it's marked with "fair trade" or something like that I generally avoid it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on May 29, 2011, 04:31:05 AM
How often are you guided by considerations that are not directly related to the quality and price of goods and services when making consumer choices?

This could include anything - from boycotting corporations that do something that you do not like (whether it is political donations, or being involved in worker rights abuse), or only choosing products with a certain certificate or badge (e.g. "kosher", "halal" or "fair trade"), to preferring to buy products manufactured locally/nationally as opposed to imports.

Neal said it best. I do buy those Heb hotdogs though. Nothing against Oscar Meyer or Ball park.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Agelastus

Quote from: Zanza on May 29, 2011, 05:27:39 AM
I don't buy fair trade as I think that's a scam that mainly benefits the first world vendors who give only very little of the price premium to the producers.

Quote from: The Brain on May 29, 2011, 03:22:57 PM
If it's marked with "fair trade" or something like that I generally avoid it.

Snap. I will not consider buying a product that's labelled "Fair Trade", although possibly not for the same reasons as you do.

That's the only time I'm guided by external considerations to quality and price though, as far as I am aware...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on May 29, 2011, 02:20:32 PM
If it's just the eggs, there's conceivably a chain of events that didn't cause harm to the chicken.  How actually likely is it that no harm came to the chicken?  Not very.
That's not really what motivates me.   I think we should look after animals in our food chain because it seems fundamentally ethical, but I'm only willing to pay more if I think it's actually also a better product.  With meat - especially chicken and eggs - there's a huge quality difference.  I've said before that I very rarely get organic veg, for example, because I think there needs to be a quality difference to justify spending that bit extra and - for most veg - I just haven't noticed it.

I think I'm far more aware when it's an option - in Dorset where my family live, for example, there's a great local bakery and lots of farm shops and the like.  That's not available in the East End.

The only one that's purely sort-of political is fish.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on May 29, 2011, 02:20:32 PM
I would probably prefer not buy products from the PRChinese.  However, this would be such an unsustainable and useless one-man damnbargo that it's not really worth pursuing.
Yeah, but sometimes, there are certain things you simply can't avoid.  Like air.
One of the local news channels did a piece on a family shortly after the whole Chinese-toys-lead-paint thing from a few years back;  they tried to go 2 weeks or so without buying a single Chinese-made product, from make-up to dog food.  They were sinking about 4 hours of research a day in it, just trying to deal with basic consumables and staples.

QuoteOf course, however, as you folks know, I'm a lacto-vegetarian (and crustaceans don't count).  So obviously I try to avoid products with dead animals in them, like hamburgers or Lee-Enfield rifle cartridges from the mid-19th century.

Ideologue

The only vegan superpower I'm aware of is the ability to shatter your bones from glancing, everyday impacts.

Also, in the Scott Pilgrim-verse, it's apparent you get mid-grade superpowers just from being a creepy man-child.  That I can do.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Such as the ability to put yourself into a coma-like trance in the middle of bustling drinking establishments.

CountDeMoney

As hawtly cool as Ramona was, and as adorable as little Knives was, I really wanted to bang Bad Mood Julie.

Monoriu

Actually, now that I think about it, "fair trade" means "overpriced" to me.  So yes, it does affect my purchase decision - I avoid such products if I can.