Consumer choices, socio-political consciousness and you

Started by Martinus, May 29, 2011, 04:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

I don't really buy into the consumer consciousness bull.   It is bourgeois ideology with a friendly face, not fit for serious leftists.

That said, I did sort of boycott a local fancy pizza place in Mass. for robbing its undocumented workers.  Except I never went there and didn't plan too, but I did talk shit about them whenever the opportunity came up.   :blush:

I do also sometimes try to buy local microbrew beer rather than imports, even if I really prefer the imports, when I think about a big boat gunning it all the way from Hamburg just to bring me my Warsteiner or whatnot. 
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

MadImmortalMan

A few minutes ago on the way home from work, I found myself in traffic behind Sharron Angle and her husband. They drive a blue Kia Optima LX. That's not an American car!  :p

...No, I didn't hit her.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2011, 12:43:03 PM
Despite all the warnings here, I feel like I've missed out on something.

You have.  But,just like malaria, once you contract Yellow Fever it will stay in your blood stream the rest of your life.

Mmmmm, yellow.....aaauugghhh....

Little yellow shits have kitty cat eyes.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on May 31, 2011, 05:42:55 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 31, 2011, 05:38:57 PM
I had a Vietnamese friend in high school.  His name was Nguyen. :)

I had a Vietnamese friend in college. Her name was Nguyen, although she changed it to Lin when she became a citizen. She also stopped talking to me after she joined an Asian sorority. -_-

What sorority did you join?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 31, 2011, 09:09:43 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2011, 12:43:03 PM
Despite all the warnings here, I feel like I've missed out on something.

You have.  But,just like malaria, once you contract Yellow Fever it will stay in your blood stream the rest of your life.

Mmmmm, yellow.....aaauugghhh....

Little yellow shits have kitty cat eyes.

I have always wondered if your hatred for China is connected to your lust for their women.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on May 31, 2011, 10:30:40 PM

I have always wondered if your hatred for China is connected to your lust for their women.

They abort them en masse in order to have boys instead. The world would be a better place if they didn't do that.   :mad:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

I think you may have just planted a fatal virus into Money's central processing unit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Seedy is a man of contradictions.  I don't pretend to understand him.

Zoupa

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 31, 2011, 06:36:10 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 31, 2011, 06:34:25 AM
So do crazy needy white chicks, but on a whole crazy Asians are just... I don't know, crazier. There's needy call ya at two in the morning to see what you're doing crazy (white chick) and there's needy show up at your door at two in the morning crying because you didn't answer your phone crazy (Asian).

:lol:

And then you let her in, and she lets you fuck her in the ass.  Because then she knows you care.

You know, I've had 4 asian gfs, and 3 out of 4 loved the buttsecks. Never got close with the white chicks. This might deserve a poll.  :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zoupa on June 01, 2011, 01:22:38 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 31, 2011, 06:36:10 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 31, 2011, 06:34:25 AM
So do crazy needy white chicks, but on a whole crazy Asians are just... I don't know, crazier. There's needy call ya at two in the morning to see what you're doing crazy (white chick) and there's needy show up at your door at two in the morning crying because you didn't answer your phone crazy (Asian).

:lol:

And then you let her in, and she lets you fuck her in the ass.  Because then she knows you care.

You know, I've had 4 asian gfs, and 3 out of 4 loved the buttsecks. Never got close with the white chicks. This might deserve a poll.  :hmm:

They're so freaky submissive, especially when they're spoiled.  Mine used to call me Daddy.  In public. :wub:  Fucking bitch.  :mad:

And 4? You fucker.

KRonn

I try to buy foods with no or less salt, sugar, and various additives. I rarely buy foods that have MSG (Monosodium Glutamate), and I avoid stuff (foods, juices) with high fructose syrup. I try to buy foods that are as close to origins as possible, less processed the better.

However, I still eat some hot dogs and brats, and processed meats like lunch meat, though not a lot. I try to mostly use cereal that has less or no sugar or salt, or other additives. But I do still use some cereals that have sugar or salt; hard to stop using all of it. Once in a while I buy organic veggies, but not always. 

Salt is way too much in everything, and it's not always easy to find less sodium stuff. But I pick the low salt or no salt soups, canned veggies, and other stuff where possible. Damn salt, too much, in some of my favorite canned soups! I still eat those soups but not as often.

So I try to be aware and careful but I don't go overboard on it.

As for Chinese made products. I'd avoid most of them if I could. i don't always pay attention but I certainly try to avoid Chinese produced foods. Too much bad food scares from China, crazy stuff, so I just avoid if I know the products are from China.  I will buy clothing type goods since I'm not consuming those.

Admiral Yi

0 for 3 here.  Must be a Montreal thing.

dps

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2011, 04:08:29 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 31, 2011, 03:22:38 PM
Isn't he from West Virginia?  Maybe that's the cause.

Lived my first 20 years there.  Then moved to Wilmington, Delaware for 8 years.  I've been in Cincy since then.  None of those three places have many Asians. 

When I went to Marshall you could probably count the total number of Asian students on one hand.   Delaware wasn't much different in that respect-- in fact, Jews were the closest thing to a minority at UD.

I don't know about the Huntington area specifically, but while there aren't a huge number of Asians in WV, I certainly talked to several Asian chicks when I lived there.

Norgy

It does. Definitely.  :sleep: