News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I am just glad this Tory guy is not a Liberal politician.  Think how confusing that would be.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 14, 2014, 02:44:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2014, 02:31:54 PM
It has nothing to do with "Reform roots".

It is odd then that you would refer to electoral failures of Conservative candidates that where directly impacted by the Reform party siphoning off votes and completely ignoring that effect on vote outcome in your criticism of this candidate.

:huh:

The only election that applies to is 1993.  Every other election I mentioned was municipal or provincial.

And every election has its own unique twists and turns.  Not every politician who loses an election is a bad politician.  But when you have a track record like Tory's, you can start to draw a few conclusions.

And maybe he can "rebuild the base of the party in the Toronto area".  I just wouldn't be confident about it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on March 14, 2014, 02:46:34 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 14, 2014, 02:44:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2014, 02:31:54 PM
It has nothing to do with "Reform roots".

It is odd then that you would refer to electoral failures of Conservative candidates that where directly impacted by the Reform party siphoning off votes and completely ignoring that effect on vote outcome in your criticism of this candidate.
I don't think that the Reform was running in the Ontario provincial elections or the Toronto mayoral race.  The collapse of Mike Harris' government was probably a bigger factor in terms of damaging the Tory brand.

I dont think they were either. Reform never was going to win in Ontario at any level.  But that didnt stop them from doing damage where they could.

Malthus

My fear is that Tory and Chow split the anti-Ford vote between them on left/right lines, leaving Ford the winner - more long years of his assclownery.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on March 14, 2014, 02:55:46 PM
My fear is that Tory and Chow split the anti-Ford vote between them on left/right lines, leaving Ford the winner - more long years of his assclownery.  :(
Would that really be so bad?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HVC

could be worse, could be Karen Stintz
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

I guess you can hope that Tory and Ford split the Conservative vote, giving Chow a path to victory.

Of course, I don't know the breakdown of the demographics and voting patterns. I guess the question is whether Tory voters would be more likely to vote for Chow or Ford if he wasn't in the race?

crazy canuck

Why do you hate late night TV  :(

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on March 14, 2014, 01:42:00 PM
Have we seen any polling yet?  If Ford's voters transfer their loyalty to Tory, then that would be something for the Liberals to be concerned about.

Unless the right votes split down the middle and hand it to Chow.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Can't believe all you westies are discussing Toronto.  :lol:

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on March 14, 2014, 03:20:33 PM

I know - I'm so ashamed.  :Embarrass:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Josephus on March 14, 2014, 03:20:33 PM

It's the Ford legacy!

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on March 14, 2014, 03:17:21 PM
I guess you can hope that Tory and Ford split the Conservative vote, giving Chow a path to victory.

Of course, I don't know the breakdown of the demographics and voting patterns. I guess the question is whether Tory voters would be more likely to vote for Chow or Ford if he wasn't in the race?

From what I've read, it's a three-way split, with Ford votes remaining more or less static (those voting for him obviously don't care about scandals and are unlikely not to vote for him). Dunno what that portends.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Neil on March 14, 2014, 03:00:42 PM
Would that really be so bad?

I would prefer a mayor who was capable of doing stuff other than get wasted, shoot his mouth off, eat everything in sight, and boast about his oral sex skillz.  :yuk:

Entertaining as all that is, there is a certain amount of actuall stuff that needs doing. 

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.