News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I'm going to have to look up the WE charity thing because from my memories it was nothing but a tea pot tempest certainly not brazen. It didn't really make headlines in Quebec.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 20, 2021, 10:21:53 AM
I'm going to have to look up the WE charity thing because from my memories it was nothing but a tea pot tempest certainly not brazen. It didn't really make headlines in Quebec.

Please do.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Looking at a list of Canadian political scandals, the WE scandal doesn't seem particularly egregious.

Nor does the Conservative Party come across as paragons of clean and moral government except to its own partisans.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 20, 2021, 10:13:10 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 20, 2021, 10:09:51 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 20, 2021, 10:04:57 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 20, 2021, 09:16:22 AM
That's also true of the Conservatives. They all got friends that need rewarding.

Link me.

You want me to link you the CPC friends list?

CPC is back by the Oil and Gas industry and of course the Milk cartel.

I want you to link me to the CPC doing something as brazenly corrupt as the WE Charity scandal for their "friends".

As you said to GF, have you been paying attention?  How about Nigel Wright writing a big check to cover Duffy's expenses to try to hide the scandal.

Oh and how about Clement - after funneling 50 million that was supposed to be used for a G8 summit to his won riding, he was rewarded with a plum appointment to the Treasury Board to make that scandal go away.

WE charity is something the Conservatives have been harping on about, but there is not much there except incompetence, well that and hypocrisy. 

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on August 20, 2021, 11:12:01 AM
Looking at a list of Canadian political scandals, the WE scandal doesn't seem particularly egregious.

Nor does the Conservative Party come across as paragons of clean and moral government except to its own partisans.

Whataboutism.  Got it.

Jacob

The Airbus scandal was significantly bigger than anything this Liberal government has done, IMO. The ETS scandal involved a $400 million contract, which is far from trivial.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on August 20, 2021, 01:12:25 PM

Whataboutism.  Got it.

:jaron:

You yourself asked "I want you to link me to the CPC doing something as brazenly corrupt as the WE Charity scandal for their "friends" and then you respond with 'whataboutism' " when examples are given.

HVC

Give e examples... how dare you give me examples :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 20, 2021, 01:12:25 PM

Whataboutism.  Got it.

You asked for examples of where the Cons engaged in similar scandals.  When you get answers it is whataboutism? - you are becoming a hopeless coolaid drinker.

Grey Fox

To be fair, he asks me to provide examples.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 20, 2021, 03:48:05 PM
To be fair, he asks me to provide examples.

There are a few for you to choose from, then :)

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 20, 2021, 10:21:53 AM
It didn't really make headlines in Quebec.

It did, a lot, but not as much as in RoC.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Kelvin Goertzen is announced as the new interim Premier of Manitoba.

So Kelvin... I don't actually know where I know him from.  We moved in the same circles - Reform Party, Robson Hall Law school - but I don't actually remember interacting with him in real life.  We must have though, because...

I've been Facebook friends with him for well over a decade.  And to his personal account, not political.  He posts on Facebook about his family (he has one son, and is open at times about the fertility struggles they went through), about the Blue Bombers and the Jets, about life in Steinbach. When in opposition he posted about life as an opposition MLA, and in government he posted more personal anecdotes about life as a minister.  He's either just really good at social media, or is a pretty decent and human person.

So even though I don't even remember meeting him, I feel like I know him and am pleased for him.

Note: he's only interim leader - he's not running for full time leader.  As I understand it (not from Kelvin) he's perceived as one of the Manitoba PC's most capable ministers having served in the hot-button Health and Education portfolios.  But as he is from a very conservative largely Mennonite town, is pro-life and pro-school choice (he sends his son to a Christian school) I suspect he knows he's not the guy to win over middle-of-the-road Winnipeggers.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on August 19, 2021, 10:10:14 PM
So I'm unapologetic about my biases.  I'll give you my thoughts, and I try to be objective, but I know I'm not.

The GST holiday is the biggest most ridiculous gimmick in the world.  I mean what the fuck.

Other than that though I've been reasonably impressed with the CPC campaign.  The "man with the plan" sales pitch isn't a bad one.  Even the tight t-shirt pic Jacob posted above isn't bad.

Speaking though as a #NeverTrump guy, which has actually loosened my ideological bonds though, I really can't see how any rational person would vote for Trudeau though.  Singh is really not my guy, but he's a responsible person - but Trudeau is just a corrupt piece of shit.  Just how I see it.

Sorry for the profanity - I try to be more nuanced, but it seemed appropriate.

I was going to write something here in response. But seeing how I'm suddenly labelled as irrational, I won't bother.

You're wrong though.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

I would like to hear your views.  Don't condition your posts here based on whether BB would ever change is vote from the conservative party of the day.

I am struggling mightily with the decision.  There is a lot I don't like about the Liberals, but they are looking like the best choice for implementing appropriate climate policy.