News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Re: the PC win in Nova Scotia and the implications thereof, here are some relevant excerpts from an interview with Karla MacFarlane, a reelected NSPC MLA and former interim leader of that party.

QuoteTim Houston was very clear throughout the campaign in defining himself as a red Tory. He went so far as to say he's not actually a member of the federal Conservative Party. Why was there this conscious effort to distance him from Erin O'Toole and the federal Conservatives?

I think Premier Houston has to answer that question himself. I can't speak for [him].

I think it's obvious to a lot of people, though, that the Progressive Conservative Party of Nova Scotia is not the same party [as] the Conservative Party of Canada. We do have the Liberals and the NDP who tend to like to confuse them for their own strategy reasons. But we are very different. And we have members of the Progressive Conservative Party of Nova Scotia that are members of the Conservative Party of Canada, but many are not, and vice versa.

Do you support Erin O'Toole and the federal Conservatives?

I don't have a membership, a federal Conservative membership. I supported [former Conservative MP and cabinet minister] Peter MacKay. Peter MacKay has been great. A great friend. Long before politics, I knew Peter and I've been here in Pictou County and he's a bit older than me and grew up [here]. And certainly I supported Peter and was extremely sad that he was not the chosen leader.

But right now, again, I'm just so focused provincially, and so that's my focus. And in Central Nova, I don't even believe, at this point, we have a candidate running federally.

A lot of people are looking at what happened in your province and wondering if it foretells something about what might happen in September at the federal level. What do you think federal leaders might take away from your party's campaign?

We were ready. We were ready as a team. And if those individuals in Nova Scotia associate our party with the federal Conservative Party, it will have an effect at the polls and on how, perhaps, they vote.

I can't say for certain. The tale will be told in September. But I think that people are recognizing the Progressive Conservative Party of Nova Scotia as being one that is one with vision and compassion and empathy, and one that has always listened.

Do you plan to vote Conservative in the federal election?

I think that I will consider all my options.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-the-wednesday-edition-1.6144922/why-did-nova-scotia-turn-blue-we-were-ready-says-progressive-conservative-mla-1.6145541

HVC

so afraid of the federal pc brush that he won't even say who he's voting for.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

There may be sunnier days ahead for Ontario, if this Beaverton story is correct:

QuoteOntarian prince promises a wealth of governance in exchange for small up-front fee

QUEEN'S PARK – Citizens of Ontario were surprised to find an unknown letter tucked amongst their usual mail promising them the untold riches of capable governance.

The letter was sent by the Ontario PCs to a number of homes across the province, notably previous party supporters, the visually-impaired and the terminally afraid.

The correspondence seemingly explains that a wealth of honest, fact-based government oversight was currently trapped in bureaucratic red tape and that it could be unlocked through payment of an enclosed $300 invoice.

The Beaverton was able to acquire a copy of the single-page letter sent along with the invoice. It reads as follows:

Quote"Dear Sir Madam,

I hope I greet you upon the most gloriousness[sic] of days.

My name is Mr. Doug Ford and I am the crown prince of the great nation of Ontario! I    write to you today to   graciously    implore your aid? Auditors in my magnificent regime have uncovered a vast fortune of competent leadership trapped in the accounts of the Progressive Conservative party!

This truly magnificent     sum of capable governance would be able to solve the housing, COVID, and climate crises one-hundred times     over!! Unfortunately, due to federal guidelines enacted by the   treacherous     Liberals   we are unable   to  have accessing these funds.

This is why we seek you as a trustworthy and most likely elderly or non-English speaking Canadian to act        as our intermediary? By paying the     enclosed $300  Election Readiness Fund, you  are   ensuring   we will not have to live through the pig-headed,    fly by the seat of your      ass governance we         have had to endure for the past three years!!

Time is the maximum essence! Without your help? I fear my government may happen to collapse any day now and this vast treasure trove of basic competency will be lost forever!

Please be responding immediately to my personal email: [email protected],

Eternal bountiful joy be upon you,

Mr. Doog [sic] Ford"

At press time, your grandparents were excitedly waiting to hear back from Mr. Douglas Ford after mailing him both of their CPP cheques for this month.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2021/08/ontarian-prince-promises-a-wealth-of-governance-in-exchange-for-small-up-front-fee/

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on August 19, 2021, 03:26:36 PM
so afraid of the federal pc brush that he won't even say who he's voting for.

She. But yes. And this is AFTER she won her election.

HVC

Sorry for some reason I thought it was Tim Houston replying.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on August 19, 2021, 03:35:54 PM
Sorry for some reason I thought it was Tim Houston replying.

He did apparently say he's not a member of the Federal Conservative Party, so they're probably aligned.

Jacob

Back on the "who's sexier, Trudeau or Singh" discussion, it appears O'Toole's decided to throw his hat into the ring:

Barrister

So I'm unapologetic about my biases.  I'll give you my thoughts, and I try to be objective, but I know I'm not.

The GST holiday is the biggest most ridiculous gimmick in the world.  I mean what the fuck.

Other than that though I've been reasonably impressed with the CPC campaign.  The "man with the plan" sales pitch isn't a bad one.  Even the tight t-shirt pic Jacob posted above isn't bad.

Speaking though as a #NeverTrump guy, which has actually loosened my ideological bonds though, I really can't see how any rational person would vote for Trudeau though.  Singh is really not my guy, but he's a responsible person - but Trudeau is just a corrupt piece of shit.  Just how I see it.

Sorry for the profanity - I try to be more nuanced, but it seemed appropriate.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

I don't see it. How is Trudeau corrupt?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 19, 2021, 10:42:04 PM

WE charity?  SNC-Lavalin?  Have you been paying attention?

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 19, 2021, 11:09:26 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 19, 2021, 10:42:04 PM

WE charity?  SNC-Lavalin?  Have you been paying attention?
he dozed off when that happened. :P

But he's hopeless.  He prefer the crooks, so long as they don't identify as right-wingers. ;)

I disagree wiht you about as Singh.  I don't think he has what it takes to be a leader for all Canadians and he's only honest because he has never been in power.  Once there, it will be the same old story as with the Libs, just different targets of their "generosity".
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

That's also true of the Conservatives. They all got friends that need rewarding.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 20, 2021, 09:16:22 AM
That's also true of the Conservatives. They all got friends that need rewarding.

Link me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on August 20, 2021, 10:04:57 AM

Link me.

You want me to link you the CPC friends list?

CPC is back by the Oil and Gas industry and of course the Milk cartel.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 20, 2021, 10:09:51 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 20, 2021, 10:04:57 AM

Link me.

You want me to link you the CPC friends list?

CPC is back by the Oil and Gas industry and of course the Milk cartel.

I want you to link me to the CPC doing something as brazenly corrupt as the WE Charity scandal for their "friends".