News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2011

Started by Brazen, March 09, 2011, 06:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 11, 2011, 03:24:03 PM
Jogging uphill burns 900 calories an hour while biking burns 300, or so the machines at the gym tell me.

Just sitting in a chair and being alive burns like a hundred.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on August 11, 2011, 04:13:00 PM
That's rubbish, in the real world you can burn as many calories as you want on a bike, up to the point when you kill yourself.   :P

Your legs aren't supporting your body's weight, so they don't have to work as hard. And personally I'd be worried about controlling the bike if I was going more than 15-20 mph.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 11, 2011, 04:26:59 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 11, 2011, 04:13:00 PM
That's rubbish, in the real world you can burn as many calories as you want on a bike, up to the point when you kill yourself.   :P

Your legs aren't supporting your body's weight, so they don't have to work as hard. And personally I'd be worried about controlling the bike if I was going more than 15-20 mph.

:blink:
Of course they can, what do you think happens when one gets out to the saddle and use ones upper body as well.

And seriously 15-20mph  isn't very fast on a bike, though getting above 40mph can sometimes get a bit white knuckle.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Well, for people who don't like the prospect of breaking a limb in a fall, jogging or running will be a better workout than cycling.

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 11, 2011, 04:40:48 PM
Well, for people who don't like the prospect of breaking a limb in a fall, jogging or running will be a better workout than cycling.

:blink:

Why is one more likely to break a limb cycling rather than running/jogging ?

I think I've come off my bikes precisely twice in say more than 30,000 miles.

I'd have thought someone running that far is just as likely to fall over, if not more so, and of course jogging is known to be far more damaging to knees. 

Richard Hakluyt

When I was on my cycling tour back in '88 it was a Golden Age of eating and drinking and having a decent physique  :cool:

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 11, 2011, 04:53:18 PM
When I was on my cycling tour back in '88 it was a Golden Age of eating and drinking and having a decent physique  :cool:

Yes when I get fit enough I need to do some more of that, though not sure about the drinking bit now.  :(

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on August 11, 2011, 04:45:45 PM

Frequency of falls, distance traveled, speed being traveled at, etc. And millions of years of evolution designing us to stride, while pedaling is a recently adapted motion so most people are clumsier at it.

Richard Hakluyt

As you say, proper cycling uses the upper body as well as the legs..............one stands on the bike rather than sitting on it.

Trouble is that I hate urban cycling, it's dangerous for inattentive folk like me.........meanwhile real cycling requires free time  :hmm:

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 11, 2011, 05:05:41 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 11, 2011, 04:45:45 PM

Frequency of falls, distance traveled, speed being traveled at, etc. And millions of years of evolution designing us to stride, while pedaling is a recently adapted motion so most people are clumsier at it.

Statistical evidence for your assertion ?

As an example, travelling faster on a bike makes it more stable than going slower.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 11, 2011, 05:06:42 PM
As you say, proper cycling uses the upper body as well as the legs..............one stands on the bike rather than sitting on it.

Trouble is that I hate urban cycling, it's dangerous for inattentive folk like me.........meanwhile real cycling requires free time  :hmm:

Interestingly I've recently started using what would be called an urban bike, but I've started to mod it to my needs, not sure it 25mm tyres are ideal, but purely be accident it seems to be the ideal fit for me and suits my style of rural raids.  :)

mongers

I'm going see if I cycle more than 500 miles this month.  :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on August 11, 2011, 05:14:49 PM
Interestingly I've recently started using what would be called an urban bike, but I've started to mod it to my needs, not sure it 25mm tyres are ideal, but purely be accident it seems to be the ideal fit for me and suits my style of rural raids:)

Trying to decide if that was a typo or not. :ph34r:

I vote for biking as well.  If I didnt have to worry about being a taxi service I would definitely try riding to work more.  I was in the best shape of my adult life when I went mountain biking a few days a week.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 16, 2011, 01:42:57 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 11, 2011, 05:14:49 PM
Interestingly I've recently started using what would be called an urban bike, but I've started to mod it to my needs, not sure it 25mm tyres are ideal, but purely be accident it seems to be the ideal fit for me and suits my style of rural raids:)

Trying to decide if that was a typo or not. :ph34r:

I vote for biking as well.  If I didnt have to worry about being a taxi service I would definitely try riding to work more.  I was in the best shape of my adult life when I went mountain biking a few days a week.

For some reason I don't seem to have the time to go cycling for a good chunk of a day, so I'm tending to pick a 'target' somewhere in the countryside and in the evening/as soon as I finish working, I go straight there and largely take the same route home. The other day, I 'did' an iron age hill fort and hopefully later in the week I'll 'target' a trip to Stonehenge.  :)

crazy canuck

That is very cool Mongers. Take some pictures and post them - better still, have some wine, and record another monologue in front of Stonehenge.