News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2011

Started by Brazen, March 09, 2011, 06:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 16, 2011, 01:59:30 PM
That is very cool Mongers. Take some pictures and post them - better still, have some wine, and record another monologue in front of Stonehenge.

Thanks for the comment, but I'll have to decline the challenge of the wine induced monologue.  :)

Anyway, knocked off work early today, set off about 3.15pm and got home before sunset, all told a just over 100km round trip, didn't really push myself as the countryside was so pleasant.

Evidence I got there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hnCoBiSf9M

This is the village Sting lives in, I think the gate is one of entrances to his estate:

and for the sharp eyed who can't believe the village is called that, heres the sign at the other end of the village, for some reason I feel the place should be the retirement home for a group of languishites:

River Avon, which I stayed within 1/2mile for most of the journey:

Stopped off at Salisbury on the way back:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Next week I'll endeavour to raid Winchester 'Ancient Capital of England' as I think the tourist sign tubs it.

Also on the rural raid hit list are Maiden Castle hillfort, the southern tip of the Isle of Wight (most southerly bit in this part of South England (though I object to paying for one of the most expensive ferry crossings in the world), oh and possibly the farm of a workers co-operative in deepest Hampshire !

crazy canuck

Nice trip Mongers.  Please keep up the pics for you next adventure.

Why do I get the feeling Rasputin is already gathering landholdings around Wilsford?

mongers

Haven't been anywhere interesting this week, had to abort a trip to Dorchester because of a puncture,  not enough time and strengthening headwinds.

Today, damn, three punctures on two different bikes; on the 2nd bike I had too serious punctures, ruining the tubes within half a mile, so I found myself out in the countryside, miles from anywhere with only one working wheel, so had to half carry the bike 7.5 miles home cross country, that was a lot of effort.  :(

mongers

Cycled a bit over 550 miles this month; I'm more pleased that one of my bikes has now done more than 16,000 miles. 

mongers

Haven't done much exercise the last few days, did manage to get out for a 50 km spin around the New Forest this evening; left at 6 pm got home before sunset; not especially fast though in my defence it was through the hillier part of the forest.

There's probably 1/4 million people living within 5 miles of the forest and yet I saw hardly anyone, maybe 4-5 cyclists and a few dozen cars, otherwise I had the forest pretty much to myself.  :cool:

mongers

Is anyone else doing any exercise ?     :P

Iormlund

Yes. I don't have any pretty forests or megaliths around, though.  :(

At least the gym has reopened after a month-long renovation hiatus.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: mongers on September 04, 2011, 05:34:14 PM
Is anyone else doing any exercise ?     :P

Yeah, I've been lifting weights 2x a week since the beginning of June. At first, I lost 25 pounds, then I gained back ten in muscle. It's not bad for the time investment I put in. I just don't have hours and hours to blow on stuff like that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Made my first, and last, ever journey by mountain bike today; due to rebuilding a couple of bikes and not have currently having a shopping bike, I used a mountain bike a mate gave me to do a 12-14 mile trip to the shops.

Even though it's a reasonably ok bike, I was not impressed, what's the point of stupidly large tyres and suspension on bikes that aren't going anywhere near mountainous terrain ?
I prefer smaller tyres, to use the natural balance of the bike and keep a proper eye on terrain conditions, rather than relying on a mountain bike's additional features.

Its the first bike I've ever locked up and thought, I wouldn't be bothered if it was nicked when I came back out !

Legbiter

Yeah, so I basically ditched all sugars and grains from my diet and started doing Crossfit 3 times a week about 2 months ago. I've made up for the lost carbohydrate calories by eating alot of dead animals (whale included) , eggs and leafy greens. All liberally soaked in various animal & extra virgin olive oil fat.

Since going almost entirely Grok I've lost about 21 pounds and have gone from chunky 200 pounds to a still-a-work-in-progress 179. I'm going to continue to replace fat with lean muscle mass as the year runs it's course.

And if things work out as they have been I should be able to don a judogi and kick ass in 2012.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

Quote from: Legbiter on September 06, 2011, 06:13:18 PM
Yeah, so I basically ditched all sugars and grains from my diet and started doing Crossfit 3 times a week about 2 months ago. I've made up for the lost carbohydrate calories by eating alot of dead animals (whale included) , eggs and leafy greens. All liberally soaked in various animal & extra virgin olive oil fat.

Since going almost entirely Grok I've lost about 21 pounds and have gone from chunky 200 pounds to a still-a-work-in-progress 179. I'm going to continue to replace fat with lean muscle mass as the year runs it's course.

And if things work out as they have been I should be able to don a judogi and kick ass in 2012.

Sounds good, keep it up; though obviously you're interests are those of a younger man :cheers:

Brazen

Yes, still training four times a week for my half-marathon and cross-training (mainly weights, swimming and circuits) on the other days. Got a cross-country 10K this Sunday.

My weight loss has stalled at 25lb, but I don't really expect anything to shift while I'm adding distance.

Cecil

Nice run this morning. New pb at 1.34.50 for the half-mara.