And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2011

Started by Brazen, March 09, 2011, 06:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on May 19, 2011, 04:42:28 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 19, 2011, 04:36:46 PM

I didn't mean that literally, obviously I still had cars/trucks/bikes to get places, but if I was out shopping or had to go into town to do the banking I'd run there, or run between the shops, rather than walking. Or run everywhere at work rather than walk, which I got into trouble for on an construction engineering site.

That is what I was assuming when I was saying it seemed a bit odd.  :P But maybe things are different in England.

No, I think it was just me enjoying what turned out to be a brief period of my life, say 2 years I was pretty fit.

Now I don't think I could run 1/2 mile  :(, though thats largely because cycling seems to use a different combination of muscles.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Just played some b-ball, first time since last fall. Damn, teenagers can be obnoxious.  :rolleyes: Played for close to an hour, but only played well(for me that is) for the first 10 minutes or so.  :Embarrass:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Popped out on the bike this evening to deliver a key to a friends and get in a quick 20 odd miles; fantastic evening to be out and about, must make the effort to get out every evening between now and the solstice.

Tonitrus

Have any of you running types get sucked into the latest trend of barefoot or "minimalist" running?

I know many see it as a religion or a crappy faddish, hipster/hippie trend, but....

I could not really go full barefoot, and I did try those Vibram five-fingers toe-shoes, but could not stand the toe-shoe part.  I did get some running shoes that are designed more for running on your fore/mid foot, and having changed my running style that way over the last few months, have notice much less nagging knee pain than I usually get after running.

The calves burn something fierce, though.

Brazen

I've moved to mid-foot running and seem to get a lot less nagging aches and injuries. I didn't move to minimalist shoes, though. I'm old and heavy and not ready for a hip replacement yet!

Some of my friends adore Vibrams and other shoes with next to no sole. There's anecdotal evidence you could end up damaging your joints or with severe shin splints unless you only run on grass or sand.

You might find the Vibram/New Balance trail running shoes are up your street.

Lucidor

My running goes allright. Up to 30 km, max 40 a week. I'm intrigued by the new front-foot running shoes, still I've read it takes a lot of patience to change your running style for them, and build muscle where you need it.

Cecil

Trying to get to my schedule of last year with a half-marathon three times a week combined with working out at the gym 3 times a week. Almost there although I´m not as quick as I was in the fall. Got some good hope I can beat my time from last year though its probably gonna take a couple of months to get there.

Valmy

Working out everyday again.  Thank Hod for the gym.

My wife is to though which makes me very happy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Weird popped out to a mates house this earlier this evening, took me 1hour 15minutes on a bike for the round trip, a whole 15 minutes quicker than the exact same journey under similar condition I did 4-5 days ago, though this time it was hotter and more humid. 

On the fastest journey I used an old girls bike I found around the back of the shed, rather knackered, but it must be that drop handle bars makes all the difference. :hmm:

mongers

Damn, had a target to cyle 400 miles a month for April, May and June, missed the 1200 mile target by 35miles.  :(

MadImmortalMan

Turns out I've lost 15 pounds in the month of June, What. The. Fuck.  :huh:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Siege

Do my workout and you will be in shape:

1- 300 push ups
2- 300 sit ups
3- 5 mile run

Do the push ups and sit ups together.
My first set is 70 push ups, I turn around without stopping, and I do 70 sit ups.
This is a near max out PT test right there.
Next set is 50 and 50.
Then 30 and 30.
Then 25 and 25 twice.
Then 20 and 20 for 5 times.
Then go and run 5 miles in under 40 minutes.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

mongers

Not doing enough, I blame the heat.  <_<

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on July 01, 2011, 04:38:24 PM
My first set is 70 push ups, I turn around without stopping, and I do 70 sit ups.

Seems odd to do those at a one-to-one ratio when situps are way easier.  :hmm:

Today, I did a 20 minute pilates video and didn't eat too much.

Eddie Teach

Today, jogged a mile and a half and lifted my dumbbells for a bit.